Savannah River Dredge Spoil-Water Worn Partial Mammal Tooth?

James Savage

Hello everyone

Wanted to share one of the many things that have me stumped.  The hunting spot is from dredged material from the river that has been deposited on a man-made island that has a mix of Miocene and Pleistocene era fossils.

This looks like it is made of enamel and doesn't have any porous fossil bone structure that I can see.  It looked at first like a very worn bit of a small plate of mammoth tooth enamel.  It has what appears to be a peak and valley on part of the crown on the occlusal/top side (possibly a plate tubercle?).  It is completely flat on one side and has a slight bulge outwards on the other.  I don't see any area where roots extended from the crown of the tooth.  The occlusal/top side doesn't seem to have the mammoth tooth plate enamel ridges.   I've found a few similar appearing fossils in the area over the years from this spot.  I also found a broken mastodon or gomphotherium tooth cap/hump and a few pieces of ivory bark nearby on this trip.

Let me know your thoughts on ID or if it may be too worn for identification.

Thanks for looking

IMG_7991.JPG

IMG_7993.JPG

IMG_7997.JPG

IMG_7998.JPG

IMG_7977.JPG

IMG_7978.JPG

IMG_7979.JPG

IMG_7981.JPG

IMG_7986.JPG

IMG_8001.JPG

IMG_8004.JPG

This looks like a chunk of mastodon tooth to me. the part of the enamel of one of the cones.

" This comment brought to you by the semi-famous AeroMike"