SE Texas Ivory or Snakewood?

johnnyvaldez7.jv

Well...either way it's a first for me. Looking at some unusual rocks that I've found over time I looked at this little 1/2" piece that I had...and I think those are Schreger lines on the ends making me think this could be a very small piece of tusk?!? Then I heard of snakewood so could it be that instead?? Either way....either one would be a 1st for me so I'm cool either way. Thanks for your thoughts. 

20230326_221503.jpg

20230326_221430.jpg

20230326_221640.jpg

20230326_221608.jpg

20230326_221620.jpg

20230326_214111.jpg

20230326_221543.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

It is not snakewood. 

• I found this Informative 1
  • Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Hi,

Looks like petrified wood to me, though not snakewood. Snakewood is crazy rare and very distinctive looking. It has lots of dots, that I can't remember the scientific term for, in between it's growth rings. It gets it's name from the pattern of these "dots" that looks like snakeskin when you take a cross section.1881048936_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.0a7f04607f2bb61101728a382665f22e.jpg

You can find petrified wood from lots of other species there, all much more common than snakewood.

Oak, Hardwood, Legume, and Palm are the ones found the most.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1
  • Thank You 1

4 hours ago, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

and I think those are Schreger lines on the ends making me think this could be a very small piece of tusk?!?

I think so too.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 8

54 minutes ago, val horn said:

It certainly looks like schreger lines which i thought was the definition of tusk

You mean defining feature, maybe ? :)

• Thank You 1

I don't know why I've never considered finding tusk even after I've found other mammoth/mastodon pieces including enamel so this small piece is still a good find for me. I'm really gonna have to start searching for the smallest of  gravel pieces for these kinds of things. Only with some recent threads did I really even begin to see what Shreger lines look in ivory and then the snakewood  was thrown in to...which is why I wasn't sure. But instead of bones...I now have to keep a good eye out for ivory pieces that's been here all along. Thanks for the ID.

• Enjoyed 1

59 minutes ago, johnnyvaldez7.jv said:

I don't know why I've never considered finding tusk even after I've found other mammoth/mastodon pieces including enamel so this small piece is still a good find for me. I'm really gonna have to start searching for the smallest of  gravel pieces for these kinds of things. Only with some recent threads did I really even begin to see what Shreger lines look in ivory and then the snakewood  was thrown in to...which is why I wasn't sure. But instead of bones...I now have to keep a good eye out for ivory pieces that's been here all along. Thanks for the ID.

My motto when I'm out is if I see something that I don't know what it is, keep it. The worst thing that happens is it gets IDed as a rock and I throw it away but every once in awhile that weird thing winds up being something special.

Also yeah I see the Schreger lines now, my bad. Definitely tusk. Congrats!

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 2