Mom bought this in Quartzsite

softiesongbird

Hi there! My mom bought this fossil a few weeks ago while visiting Quartzsite, AZ, and she lost the card that she had the vendor write the ID on...it looks aquatic to me, and my initial thought was an anemone of some sort, but that's as far as I've gotten and I am by no means an expert sooo ^u^; Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated! Thanks so much <3

Quartzsite 01.jpg

Quartzsite 02.jpg

Too bad the info was lost... it could be tricky trying to pin down the info, but it looks like horn coral (Paleozoic in age).

I once bought a brachiopod at a show and the dealer didn't have a label and neither of us had anything to write on/with, so I received the info verbally, and I thought I would remember it long enough to get home and write it down, but promptly forgot it, so I now have yet another orphaned fossil in my collection, too.  Dealers really should include labels with every one of their items and package them together for the buyer! At least your vendor wrote it down, but that's only part of the battle, obviously...

Edited by Wrangellian

I agree that these are solitary (two individuals) rugose corals, commonly referred to as horn coral. Unfortunately they are common in many places, and were around for a considerable period of time. Identifying it further may be possible, but it would not be easy. 

Call the vendor she bought it from and ask?

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!