ZolfoMatt

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertebra

I remember a mammoth found in west palm beach years ago and I am sure not as old as a dinosaur but I wonder why no dinosaurs are found in Florida? Because Florida was underwater back then?

34 minutes ago, ZolfoMatt said:

I remember a mammoth found in west palm beach years ago and I am sure not as old as a dinosaur but I wonder why no dinosaurs are found in Florida? Because Florida was underwater back then?

Florida was completely covered by ocean during the Mesozoic Era but the main reason no dinosaurs are discovered in Florida is because the sediments that were deposited at that Time are deeply buried and not accessible on the surface. 

• I found this Informative 1

23 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It’s from a sawfish. Probably Pristis if it is from the Peace River.

What are the hints for sawfish so I can identify mine :) 

2 hours ago, Notidanodon said:

What are the hints for sawfish so I can identify mine :) 

Most sharks and rays have foremen around the outside of the centra, but sawfish don’t have any.

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, ZolfoMatt said:

but I wonder why no dinosaurs are found in Florida? Because Florida was underwater back then?

Just to expand a tiny bit on what @M Harvey said.  Yes, the area that is now Florida was under water for most of the time of the dinosaurs.  Rocks were deposited but the fossils are marine invertebrates (think shells and other minute oceanic creatures), no land dwelling dinosaurs.  Since that time, more rocks have been deposited on top of these sediments so that the Cretaceous rocks (last age of the dinosaurs) are now no shallower than about 2500 feet below the surface of Florida (and deeper in most areas).  This is known from wells that have been drilled in the state.

• I found this Informative 2