Waurika Permian microfossils

Earendil

Hello!

I've recently been sorting through some Waurika, Oklahoma Permian microfossil matrix, and I've been able to identify most of my finds (As a beginner in the Permian field, @ThePhysicist's Permian album really helped me) but some I haven't been able to pin down yet. I'd really appreciate some ID assistance! Let me know if you need better photos, my photo-taking ability is, alas, subpar.:D

1. Trimerorhachis jaw perhaps? Or fish? I've heard distinguishing between the two is quite difficult.

~2 mm.

IMG-4615.thumb.jpg.ff783d0f2693a45a52870c80ab83d970.jpg

2. A really strange texture, I was hoping it might be diagnostic. The other side is relatively featureless.

~3 mm

IMG-4621.thumb.jpg.455f70882a8948cfcaddab205b4dae8e.jpg

3. Another weird looking jaw. It looks fishy, maybe. (I included both sides)

~2mm

IMG-4623.thumb.jpg.dc3f01ac534bdb733f19d649f1942059.jpg

IMG-4624.thumb.jpg.1bd1589bc28455c7a8e4199de8fde053.jpg

4. This also had a bizarre texture. A fish mouth plate? :Confused05:

A bit bigger, ~5mm

IMG-4626.thumb.jpg.7b8fc003e95409d38a9f69966b9740fd.jpg

IMG-4627.thumb.jpg.255b2d212108d56f75776a528975f150.jpg

5. I thought it might be an Eryops tooth but I wasn't certain. It has those kind of crenulations.

~4mm

IMG-4629.thumb.jpg.1e226b063ee0966b9d4b97bb7b44a187.jpg

IMG-4628.thumb.jpg.12ea86ea12f98437b003af098b2b80b8.jpg

6. Maybe a worn part of an orthacanth tooth? A really weird texture, almost perforated.

~3 mm

IMG-4631.thumb.jpg.08c663f4f26e8ffaf277e112f8632182.jpg

IMG-4630.thumb.jpg.21b8814697c9b352a9a559954d9b66c1.jpg

7. A really small possible claw?

~1.5 mm

IMG-4632.thumb.jpg.efd0f1463344a612777f7c51157ec3ed.jpgIMG-4633.thumb.jpg.f61e4b197af847f5e967f41f733c7f7d.jpg

8. Another possible jawbone? 

~1.5 mm

IMG-4634.thumb.jpg.678eb9c96e32a450ed7a8fdebe973fd0.jpg

9. I had my fingers crossed for Dimetrodon on this piece of enamel but I'm skeptical. It is pretty big though, (in microfossil terms, at least) almost 6mm.

IMG-4635.thumb.jpg.217fe21266e0f5d878c5756070386c12.jpgIMG-4636.thumb.jpg.f7e8fe1a95ac45d9c2ff6f11df7bd358.jpg

10. Another possible Dimetrodon candidate? I'm doubtful for this one too. 

A touch over 3mm.

Front:

IMG-4637.thumb.jpg.ab1b064075865fb5f885464cc9e5606b.jpg

Serrations:

IMG-4639.thumb.jpg.cfa46b3f060bbb696f9dbe76edf7de7d.jpg

The base:

IMG-4641.thumb.jpg.dd888d180ca63f1f294f55de3c131a22.jpg

11. Looks like a claw, but it could be a really worn piece of bone.

~2mm

IMG-4642.thumb.jpg.4f7f477d9ace0736e60c3bc521ca6edd.jpgIMG-4643.thumb.jpg.f2aa33efa089db1ff9ad29a498f42ae2.jpg

That's all, thanks so much!!

• Enjoyed 5

"Its webs of living gauze no more unfurl;

Wrecked is the ship of pearl!

And every chambered cell,

Where its dim dreaming life was wont to dwell" :ammonite01:

-From The Chambered Nautilus by Oliver Wendell Holmes

Hello yardrockpaleo, I'm not sure if these private publications by Kieran Davis are still available, but they sure would be useful for your hunting and identifying your Waurika finds. After I ordered these books, Kieran Davis moved to the UK. I think he is still a fossil and book seller there. If you have any specific needs, just PM me. Happy Hunting John Spina in NY  ( Your photography is not sub par. It will work great for anyone trying to ID your fossils.)

P4070001.JPG

Edited by fossilcrazy
Wanted to assure the poster that his photography is OK
  • I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

5 minutes ago, fossilcrazy said:

Hello yardrockpaleo, I'm not sure if these private publications by Kieran Davis are still available, but they sure would be useful for your hunting and identifying your Waurika finds. After I ordered these books, Kieran Davis moved to the UK. I think he is still a fossil and book seller there. If you have any specific needs, just PM me. Happy Hunting John Spina in NY  

P4070001.JPG

Thanks so much! I'll look into it. I know information on Waurika is sadly scarce, so I will definitely try to utilize this.

Glad you've found the album useful - why I made it. To place your fossils in context, and perhaps guide future IDs (not to assume you don't already know, but for the benefit of other readers), the Waurika site(s) represent a pond or swampy environment, and searching for microfossils biases your findings towards smaller animals (or large animals that can produce very small remains e.g. Barbclabornia). This means that most fossils you will find are from small aquatic or semi-aquatic animals like small fishes and amphibians.

1. amphibian jaw

2. amphibian skull fragment

3. different amphibian jaw

4. amphibian palatal teeth

5. Temnospondyl amphibian, possibly Eryops

6. bone

7. bone

8. amphibian jaw

9. Orthacanthus tooth fragment - if it has smooth enamel and large irregular serrations, it's a "shark" (can be tough to tell for poor preservation)

10. Orthacanthus tooth fragment

11. bone

You made a guess that a couple were claws, so here's a real one (probably synapsid, amphibian claws are broader in anterior view, providing better support on mud - evolved convergently with crocodilians, turtles, Spinosaurus, etc.):

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.cb4e505986563015fe2f4330d7318aeb.JPG

All claws have a symmetry to them, with a blood groove that runs down both sides. 

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff

1. Temnospondyl. Not Trimerorhachis. Might be dissorophid.

2. Temnospondyl skull roof fragment. Might be Isodectes.

3. Actinopterygian fish. Hard to narrow it down more.

4. Coronoid bone, possibly from a gymnarthrid "microsaur."

5. Temnospondyl tooth. Can't narrow it down more than that.

6. Xenacanth Shark tooth base is correct.

7. Unsure. Possibly a fin support from a ray finned fish 

7. Orthacanthus

8. Orthacanthus

9. Unidentifiable sliver of bone.

• I found this Informative 4

10 hours ago, fossilcrazy said:

Hello yardrockpaleo, I'm not sure if these private publications by Kieran Davis are still available, but they sure would be useful for your hunting and identifying your Waurika finds. After I ordered these books, Kieran Davis moved to the UK. I think he is still a fossil and book seller there. If you have any specific needs, just PM me. Happy Hunting John Spina in NY  ( Your photography is not sub par. It will work great for anyone trying to ID your fossils.)

P4070001.JPG

Wow, those would be incredible books for a reference library.  I hate when I discover something like this, they are always out of print, not available and the authors arent accessible (or deceased) preventing future print runs.  If I ever came across these, I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

• Enjoyed 1

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

13 hours ago, ThePhysicist said:

Glad you've found the album useful - why I made it. To place your fossils in context, and perhaps guide future IDs (not to assume you don't already know, but for the benefit of other readers), the Waurika site(s) represent a pond or swampy environment, and searching for microfossils biases your findings towards smaller animals (or large animals that can produce very small remains e.g. Barbclabornia). This means that most fossils you will find are from small aquatic or semi-aquatic animals like small fishes and amphibians.

1. amphibian jaw

2. amphibian skull fragment

3. different amphibian jaw

4. amphibian palatal teeth

5. Temnospondyl amphibian, possibly Eryops

6. bone

7. bone

8. amphibian jaw

9. Orthacanthus tooth fragment - if it has smooth enamel and large irregular serrations, it's a "shark" (can be tough to tell for poor preservation)

10. Orthacanthus tooth fragment

11. bone

You made a guess that a couple were claws, so here's a real one (probably synapsid, amphibian claws are broader in anterior view, providing better support on mud - evolved convergently with crocodilians, turtles, Spinosaurus, etc.):

IMG_1663.thumb.JPG.cb4e505986563015fe2f4330d7318aeb.JPG

All claws have a symmetry to them, with a blood groove that runs down both sides. 

5 hours ago, jdp said:

1. Temnospondyl. Not Trimerorhachis. Might be dissorophid.

2. Temnospondyl skull roof fragment. Might be Isodectes.

3. Actinopterygian fish. Hard to narrow it down more.

4. Coronoid bone, possibly from a gymnarthrid "microsaur."

5. Temnospondyl tooth. Can't narrow it down more than that.

6. Xenacanth Shark tooth base is correct.

7. Unsure. Possibly a fin support from a ray finned fish 

7. Orthacanthus

8. Orthacanthus

9. Unidentifiable sliver of bone.

Thanks ThePhysicist and jdp! I need to do some serious research now, it appears I'm woefully underread! A Dimetrodon tooth apparently still eludes me, but I'll get one before long.

Edited by yardrockpaleo
clarify

Dimetrodon is rarer in these bulk matrix samples than many people think. I don't actually think it was a particularly common animal, but it is an animal which is just really easy to identify if you find a piece of it. I think the same thing applies to most of these giant synapsids.

• I found this Informative 4

• 6 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 9:33 AM, hadrosauridae said:

Wow, those would be incredible books for a reference library.  I hate when I discover something like this, they are always out of print, not available and the authors arent accessible (or deceased) preventing future print runs.  If I ever came across these, I'd buy them in a heartbeat!

Does anyone know where these can be ordered now?

1 hour ago, Nick G. said:

Does anyone know where these can be ordered now?

I actually found where! Well, someone pointed me to the location, but here it is....

https://www.rhyniechert.com/permian/waurika_oklahoma

The original 2-book set have been combined into a single book.  The author is now living in England, so expect the shipping to take a little longer. 

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

On 4/10/2023 at 7:20 AM, jdp said:

Dimetrodon is rarer in these bulk matrix samples than many people think. I don't actually think it was a particularly common animal, but it is an animal which is just really easy to identify if you find a piece of it. I think the same thing applies to most of these giant synapsids.

Since this thread has been revived, I found an interesting explanation about the number of Ddon vs fossils.  Because their sail spines were so long, and there were so many, I read that they would average about 30 linear feet of sail-spine for whichever species was being discussed.  Probably limbatus.  Anyway, we tend to find their scattered spines in pieces only a few cm long, so each animal could be responsible for many hundreds of individual fossils.  If the other bones such as ribs, limbs, etc were also broken, you could have 1000 fossil items from a single individual.  So when I go to my Permian site and go "wow, there are so many fossils of Dimetrodon here", I'm probably looking at the scattered remains of a few or maybe only 1 animal. 

2 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

I actually found where! Well, someone pointed me to the location, but here it is....

https://www.rhyniechert.com/permian/waurika_oklahoma

The original 2-book set have been combined into a single book.  The author is now living in England, so expect the shipping to take a little longer. 

Thanks. I'll try contacting them again and see if I have any success. Has anyone tried their contact information on the website recently? I feel I may have emailed them a bit ago and never received a reply.

10 hours ago, Nick G. said:

Thanks. I'll try contacting them again and see if I have any success. Has anyone tried their contact information on the website recently? I feel I may have emailed them a bit ago and never received a reply.

I just ordered the book through their link and paid online.  The front page of the website has ordering informaion details.

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

I just ordered the book through their link and paid online.  The front page of the website has ordering informaion details.

Let me know if it comes through. I've exchanged emails with the author this morning!

"I think the Lower Permian Vertebrates book is sold out. I will have to check. I was looking at getting a reprint done, but the costs have increased so much I don't know if it would be worthwhile."

I inquired if they might release an eBook of the earlier volumes and the joint volume as well their Permian shark book. I would definitely pay for that!

53 minutes ago, Nick G. said:

Let me know if it comes through. I've exchanged emails with the author this morning!

"I think the Lower Permian Vertebrates book is sold out. I will have to check. I was looking at getting a reprint done, but the costs have increased so much I don't know if it would be worthwhile."

I inquired if they might release an eBook of the earlier volumes and the joint volume as well their Permian shark book. I would definitely pay for that!

I have it, I ordered it earlier in the year.

1 hour ago, hadrosauridae said:

I have it, I ordered it earlier in the year.

Cool, thanks! I'll wait to hear from the author and then put my own order in. :)