Partial NJ Theropod Tooth?

Life Finds A Way

Hi guys, I found this partial tooth in Big Brook in Monmouth. It's very worn but my best guess from looking at the squished in bottom shape seems to point to it coming from a dino theropod. Possibly dryptosaurus? Please let me know your thoughts.

20230408_150109.jpg

20230408_150340.jpg

20230408_150207.jpg

20230408_150134.jpg

Not seeing a tooth.   No enamel present and no serrations are evident.  Looks geologic

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Big brook finds tend to be very river worn, and mostly fragments of teeth with worn to little to no enamel are discoverable. I don't think it's geological though.

Looks to me like a concretion. Therapod teeth are beyond rare in N.J. I've only seen two in the past eleven years. 

without seeing details of serration, surface, root..., not possible to determine. I agree with Troodon, no fossil

Bottom looks like this section of a dryptosaurus tooth I found for reference. Would only be a piece of the tooth without serrations

Dryptosaur-tooth-5.jpg

As Trodon said, without any diagnostic features preserved/present it is inappropriate to interpret this as a therapod tooth, or even a fossil of any sort. New Jersey concretions display an uncanny knack for resembling a whole host of critters. You're far from the first to get fooled. 

Edited by Jeffrey P

Another image for reference of a dryptosaurus recovered from Big Brook by another fossil hunter

Dryptosaur-tooth-2-1080x1080.jpg

Thanks all appreciate the input here. AIt's not a concretion but difficult to prove without more evidence in the sample

Take it to the state museum for a hands-on evaluation.  Even a horribly water-worn  dino tooth would be of interest...or it's just a rock...

Definitely worth finding out.

I've handled hundreds and hundreds of theropod teeth,  so Ive seen a few.  This one  looks nothing like one and it's only similarity to a Dryptosaurus tooth is its triangular shape.  

• I found this Informative 3

Yep. Im starting to think if it is bone or organic at all, maybe a fragment of something else as @Troodon pointed out from lack of evidence of it being a theropod tooth (he is the expert). Still the bottom shape stumps me for sure... The mystery material of monmouth is always a head scratcher.