Micro pathological sawfish tooth from Post Oak Creek

TRout

Found this neat pathological sawfish or sawfish-like oral tooth today while searching through some Post Oak Creek matrix that I collected a couple years ago. I believe this should be of the cretaceous Eagle Ford Group of Texas. It appears to be two teeth that are fused together. My best guess on the ID is texatrygon, but I'm still not super confident with my "sawfish" teeth ID so I would welcome any additional opinions on ID. I've seen many interesting patho shark teeth posted here on the forum but I don't remember seeing any patho sawfish teeth so I thought this would be interesting to share. For scale, the grid is 5x5mm.

S20230430_0001.jpg

S20230430_0002.jpg

S20230430_0003.jpg

S20230430_0006.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

As rays in a number of species grow, they increase the number of teeth in their jaws through a process called file-splitting.   This tooth may be an example of a tooth from a file-splitting file.  See the below TFF Thread.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/87439-ray-teeth-file-splitting/&tab=comments#comment-949291

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png