OK, is this a mosasaur tooth or croc?

J.D.

OK, I have read the posts about croc tooth versus mosasaur and croc versus alligator.  Based on what I read, this could be a mosasaur tooth given the sort of “prismatic” ribbing and lack of any carinae or at least the lack of the two that are equidistant from each other.  Anyway, I’m not an expert but would love some help from those more learned.  Check out the pics.  This is basically from the Calvert formation - but more specifically Horsehead Cliffs area from the water.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0081.jpeg

IMG_0077.jpeg

IMG_0078.jpeg

IMG_0079.jpeg

IMG_0080.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

The morphology looks more crocodylomorph than mosasaur. If the tooth is from the Calvert Formation, it can't be mosasaur (too young).

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 5

As has been said, the age basically rules out mosasaur, as they're restricted to the Cretaceous period and the Calvert Formation dates to the early to middle Miocene. The morphology of the tooth - with its slightly prismatic shape, round and narrow cross-section, degree of curvature, and carinae (if I'm not mistaken these can just be made out in the last few photographs) - are also consistent with a crocodylomorph rather than mosasaur.

• Thank You 1
  • I Agree 1

'There's nothing like millions of years of really frustrating trial and error to give a species moral fibre and, in some cases, backbone' -- Terry Pratchett

Thanks for the help, folks!  I probably should have known this, but I know it now!

1 hour ago, J.D. said:

Thanks for the help, folks!  I probably should have known this, but I know it now!

This could very well be the motto for this forum. ;)

This is a good example of why it is so important to know where a fossil was found. Similarly, any dinosaur (or other Mesozoic) fossil types can be ruled out for any finds in Florida (our oldest surface rocks only go back to the Eocene).

Cheers.

-Ken

• Enjoyed 1