Sayreville Nj Amber Collecting

ezs13

I was wondering if there is any updated info regarding the status of the Sayreville NJ amber site. I thought it was closed for collecting however I recently observed online that there appeared to be recent trips to that location.

Also, if I decide to make the trip there, what is the best way to search for amber?

Any info would be appreciated.

Ed

• 2 years later...

I am interested in finding out too. I read it was not private property but can you collect there?

it is private property, but noone ever says anything about collecting there. there are two ways to collect there. one...wait til a rain passes, and look for little fragments on the surface, or two...find a likely looking spot, and dig til you hit the lignite layer. usually about 5-6 feet down. once you hit the lignite, start scraping it gently and you'll usually find some amber in it.

Well on my way back from PA I stopped at the clay pits and searched around for signs barring entry. I found no signs, so presumably the area is ok to collect in? There were also no fences.

The whole place is chest high with weeds and plants. I was covered in ticks when I came out. There is however a small path that goes through the southern portion and a few bare patches of clay interspearsed in the weeds where nothing grows. I poked around and found a lot of what I think must be yellow/orange quartz on the surface. There were no open pits that I could see so I could not check for fossils/amber. It might be best to go in winter when all the plants are dead.

The area had a lot of clay and fine sand. It would be ideal for anyone who makes pottery.

This site has a huge amount of information on where to look for certain fossils/amber

http://www.sunstar-solutions.com/sunstar/Sayreville/Kfacies.htm#Delta

Edited by Zapins