Odd little micro-chondrichthyan tooth

digit

Processing some micro-matrix from a creek here in Florida and I've come across a number of tiny chondrichthyan (assuming shark) teeth that are rather odd and defy my efforts to classify them (not really all that difficult). ;) You can see from this gallery of 9 teeth that they tend to have fairly thick wide roots (when they are not eroded away). The enameled crown is wide at the base and has a single cusp that is curved becoming nearly parallel to the root base. Often, these oddly shaped smaller teeth end up being odd symphyseal (or parasymphyseal) teeth of a more common species since teeth in this position are often quite different from the others surrounding it. That might be the case here or this might be a "normal" tooth from some less common species. You'll notice from the scale that these teeth are all 2-3 mm in various dimensions so they are really micros.

I spent some time today photographing this group from a few angles to send out to several places with hopes that someone recognizes this. Anybody here ever encounter something like this while picking micro-matrix? Would love to be able to put an ID to these little oddities. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Top.jpg

Bottom.jpg

Side.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I just found a similar tooth in my own batch of Peace River material, so very interested to see what folks think about these teeth.

Not sure what species they are, but they look like carpet shark (Orectolobiform) to me. Nice finds!

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, jikohr said:

Not sure what species they are, but they look like carpet shark (Orectolobiform) to me. Nice finds!

4 hours ago, Troodon said:

Crowns look a bit like Rhiniodon but a bit smaller

Whale sharks are indeed the largest of the Orectolobiformes ("wall-to-wall carpet sharks" as I call them). This is an interesting avenue to pursue. The locality does have Giant Manta and Lesser Devil Ray vestigial teeth and this could be a third filter-feeding taxon at the site. :)

Thanks for the new avenue of research--would be wild if it pans out! :default_faint:

Cheers.

-Ken