Crocodile/mosasaur tooth with root? Big Brook, New Jersey

TRexEliot

My brother found this tooth years ago at big brook. It looks reptilian to me, and seems to have the root preserved as well.

20230520_231456.jpg

20230520_231418.jpg

20230520_231414.jpg

20230520_231407.jpg

20230520_231400.jpg

20230520_231355.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

Nice find!

I could be completely wrong, but it looks like a sawfish rostral tooth to me. Croc and Mosasaur don't have that bulge at the base of the enamel I don't think. And the base that is there doesn't look like croc or Mosasaur roots, but does look like a broken sawfish base.

Here's a pic of Sawfish teeth from Big Brook from fossilguy.com who has a bunch of Big Brook examples. Then a Mosasaur tooth (Thalassotitan atrox) and a croc tooth (Elosuchus) for comparison (those two are from me).

ischyrhiza_nj_2009.jpg.7e99716b0e86a0859b36549f0447266f.jpgIschyrhiza mira from Big Brook

IMG_7051.thumb.JPG.ccf8fd0babe75588c01931d3ce18dc37.JPGThalassotitan atrox from the Moroccan Phosphates

IMG_1278.thumb.JPG.9662b25f11a9832be7e79ccbe9f30acf.JPGElosuchus cherifiensis Kem Kem Beds (technically a Crocodylomorph but same characteristics)

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Rostral tooth crossed my mind, but why is it so curved and round? I've never seen one this shape

9 hours ago, TRexEliot said:

Rostral tooth crossed my mind, but why is it so curved and round? I've never seen one this shape

It could be from a different species besides mira or from a different position than the typical long and flat ones since mira had multiple shapes and sizes. As far as that I have no idea.

Hey @ThePhysicist @Al Dente you guys are really good with Cretaceous Chondrichthyes. What are your thoughts?

I'm leaning towards mammal (most likely modern) on this one.

It doesn't look reptilian and doesn't look like any sawfish rostral I've seen. Here are some of mine, for comparison.

20230522_080838.jpg

I have to go with Ischyrhiza on this one. It's beat up and not a typical shape but it has the acrodin tip and the slight rim at the base of the enameloid. Not seeing a reptile or mammal.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 2

I'm on team weathered sawfish rostral tooth.

• I Agree 1

"Argumentation cannot suffice for the discovery of new work, since the subtlety of Nature is greater many times than the subtlety of argument." - Carl Sagan

"I was born not knowing and have had only a little time to change that here and there." - Richard Feynman

Collections: Hell Creek Microsite | Hell Creek/Lance | Dinosaurs | Sharks | SquamatesPost Oak Creek | North Sulphur RiverLee Creek | Aguja | Permian | Devonian | Triassic | Harding Sandstone

Instagram: @thephysicist_tff