Tips to keep off ticks

Velociraptor99

Pulled this topic out of the way back. 😂 

I’d skip the hose and just put a couple flea and tick dog collars around your ankles. I let mine hang pretty loose around my boots and pant legs. Might die of poison but I’m still here. 

Jp

• Enjoyed 1

6 hours ago, Balance said:

I’d skip the hose and just put a couple flea and tick dog collars around your ankles. I let mine hang pretty loose around my boots and pant legs. Might die of poison but I’m still here. 

If it's safe for dogs, it should be relatively safe for humans short term ?? :zzzzscratchchin:

And especially since it's not coming into contact with your skin. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

3 hours ago, Yoda said:

If it's safe for dogs, it should be relatively safe for humans short term ??

Some antiparasitics for dogs, if used on cats can kill them. So I will let you extrapolate regarding it's use on humans.

• I found this Informative 4

Also, remember chemicals are not even needed if one is careful to inspect the body after a trip to the woods.

Transmission | Lyme Disease | CDC

Jan 20, 2023  In most cases, a tick must be attached for 36 to 48 hours or more before the Lyme disease bacterium can be transmitted. If you remove a tick ...
  • I found this Informative 1

10 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Some antiparasitics for dogs, if used on cats can kill them. So I will let you extrapolate regarding it's use on humans.

Ah.....I did not know that. 

In which case, probably not a good idea to use then 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Heard. Never knew those white rubbery collars were that dangerous. Thanks for the heads up. 

until the most recent flea pill started killing ticks too I’ve put a collar on Millie and one one each leg if we are going hiking. Ocala area and south it’s not an issue but north Florida is nasty 

While it is true that transmission of Lyme disease does not occur until the tick vector (Ixodes scapularis) has been attached for 36-48 hrs, that is not true for other tick-borne pathogens.  Viral pathogens such as Powassen virus are transmitted by the same tick, without the delay.  Although it is rare compared to Lyme it causes a much more serious disease.  Two other pathogens, Anaplasma phagocytophila, and Babesia microti, are also transmitted by this tick and transmission has not been demonstrated to be delayed.  Other ticks transmit different pathogens.  In particular, wood ticks (Dermacentor  andersoni and D. variabilis) transmit Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, a serious (sometimes fatal) disease that despite the name is common in the Appalachian area as well as the western states.  The Lone Star tick, Amblyomma americanum, vectors monocytic ehrlichiosis and STARI.  None of these diseases require 36-48 hrs of feeding before they are transmitted.

The reason for the delay in the case of Lyme disease is that the pathogen, Borrelia burgdorferi, has to change major proteins on its surface in order to move from the tick gut, through the salivary glands, and into the human (or mouse) host, and this change, which is stimulated when the tick attaches and starts to feed, takes time.  Other pathogens don’t have to make this change.  

My reason for telling you all this?  Ticks are bad news.  Besides being generally nasty with irritating bites, they transmit lots of diseases in addition to Lyme, and only Lyme is known to have a delay in transmission.  So it is important to avoid letting ticks attach, as much as possible.  If you do find an attached tick, if possible you should save it for identification after you remove it, as the species can suggest diseases to watch for.

One more thing to be aware of, Lone Star tick bites can cause a condition called red meat allergy or alpha-gal syndrome.  This is an allergy caused by the tick saliva proteins, and it results in a permanent allergy to red meat (not fish or poultry).  This condition is becoming a lot more common.  There are cases known where a single Lone Star tick bite has caused the condition.  There is no treatment or way to cure the allergy once it has developed.  If you like red meat, beware the Lone Star tick!!

Don

• I found this Informative 7

One thing I did not spot and is used in here is garlic.

Nothing is bullet proof, but generaly most ticks dislike garlic and are less likely to attach on skin.

It can be simply consumed or even used as tablets.

But other measurements are as or even more important. Clothing, checkings, repellents and avoiding worst areas.

And thing us to worry about too is TBE, what can be vaccasined.

There's no such thing as too many teeth.

I had African Tick Bite Fever many years ago.

Had a fever and felt rubbish for a few days. According to the Dr, if one gets it again, one feels a lot worse on the subsequent times 

On 4/14/2024 at 7:55 PM, MuckyBottles said:

As someone who has contracted lyme disease. The best preventative method is to wear womens pantihouse under your pants. 

Im not pulling anybodies leg either. You could be daring and wash your clothes with permitherin..just make sure  your clothes are completely dry..kills ticks dead. 

• I Agree 1

On 4/14/2024 at 6:55 PM, MuckyBottles said:

As someone who has contracted lyme disease. The best preventative method is to wear womens pantihouse under your pants. 

I know someone else that does that. He collects in the highly concentrated Tick Home of Pit 11- Mazon Creek and he swears by them.

23 minutes ago, Nimravis said:

I know someone else that does that. He collects in the highly concentrated Tick Home of Pit 11- Mazon Creek and he swears by them.

Im originally 40 miles from the lyme epicenter so i hear that.