A fish from the Green River Formation

Wanda8

Hello friends, I am asking for help. What fish is it? Knightia eocaena? Gosiutichthys parvus?

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

• Enjoyed 2

I'm thinking Knightia eocaena, but knowing the size of it would be helpful. If it is over 3 inches, it's definitely a Knightia.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

The fish is 13 cm, over 5 inches. It has striped fins. Bright stripes. Does she have any prey in her mouth?

Did Knightia eocaena have striped fins?
Thank you for your answer. 
Is that also Knightia eocaena? 8 centimeters, over 3 inches.

15.jpg

Edited by Wanda8

I'm not sure what you are seeing that you are referring to "stripes" on the fins, I dont see anything unusual about the fins on this.  There is nothing in the mouth, what you are seeing is most likely the other side of the lower jaw which has disarticulated and moved position a small amount.

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

I have no knowledge of petrified fish. I asked because I noticed bright stripes on the fins. 
The coloration of the dorsal and caudal fins has been preserved.

14b.jpg

Edited by Wanda8

Those are sections between the fin bones. The fin bones are called raylets.

Yes, the other fish is Knightia eocaena as well.

No prey in the first Knightia's mouth. Looks like a disarticulated piece of jaw or maxillary bone.

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Am I right about the markings in this photo?

@Daisbea:

I live in Poland. It's a long way to Waoming. I bought it at a fossil store in Poland.

14c.jpg

Edited by Wanda8

No, you're just seeing the individual sections of the bones, as fossildude19 mentioned above.  You do have the remains of skin of scales though, they are on the body.  The light brown coloration inside the body... thats skin.  The little darker spots on the body are scales.  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Thank you for your answer. I don't know, so I prefer to ask. I only collect fossils for viewing.

Can you see anything else, any details? Lower jaw, eye socket, open mouth?
Edited by Wanda8

Plastic boxes from Ferrero Roche have a second life in my collection. 

0a.jpg

Edited by Wanda8
  • Enjoyed 1

Fish from the Green River Formation from the Eocene are very well preserved, but the Eocene fossils found in Poland are simply wonderful, otherworldly and Ican safely say that they are the most beautiful in the world. The best-preserved inclusions in Baltic amber from 45 million years ago come from the Gulf of Gdańsk in Poland. Preserved beautiful inclusionsof plants and insects were always found as if someone had just closed them, but when digging the Vistula Spit2-3 years ago, when the deeper and vast deposits of Baltic amber were disturbed, amber prospectors collectedamber weighing one kilogram, inclusions with whole frogs , chicks, geckos and other small lizards, even the hoof of the ancestor of horses has been found. Just miracles. Everything went straight to private collectors.

kind regards! 

:)

Edited by Wanda8