Petrified Wood from the Coleraine Formation?

TheGoblinKing

I found this oddity amongst a heap of large concretions I've hoarded over the last few years. I haven't explored other areas much, due to the productivity (and concentration) of fossil bearing coleraine formation In the location I hunt. So, I believe this piece came from that same area.

After the dried mud was washed off and I saw the banding and what looks like grain, I can't help but think that this is wood. It's also UV florescent, glowing a dull orange when exposed to a UV light.

I have a tendency to get quite excited about nodules though, so I would appreciate any and all feedback/suggestions. Thanks for your time!

20230529_140230.jpg

20230529_140310.jpg

20230529_140255.jpg

20230529_140304.jpg

20230527_201146.jpg

One surface does look like wood. It's hard to figure how it would relate to the rest of the piece though. Possibly it's just the slice that happened to be preserved. 

• Thank You 1

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

One surface does look like wood. It's hard to figure how it would relate to the rest of the piece though. Possibly it's just the slice that happened to be preserved. 

Thats what I was thinking when first looking. It almost looks like part of a burl or a damaged section.

Thats speculation on my part though.

In the cliffs a Joggins NS there are short sections of Calamites that look as if only a thin horizon was preserved. Could it be something like that ? 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

In the cliffs a Joggins NS there are short sections of Calamites that look as if only a thin horizon was preserved. Could it be something like that ? 

I could see some similarities but none of the examples I've seen from Joggins NS  have banding this tight. Do you have any pictures of these thinly preserved horizon examples?

It was a Calamites pith cast, so the comparison would only be that it was a short upright section. The thought was that sometimes a thin horizon is all that is preserved. It was only the concept that I was thinking of. 

• I found this Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

It was a Calamites pith cast, so the comparison would only be that it was a short upright section. The thought was that sometimes a thin horizon is all that is preserved. It was only the concept that I was thinking of. 

Oh, I understand now. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The rest of the material could have been exposed and rotted, or a whole plethora of other scenarios could have caused it I suppose.

Good example of partial preservation!