Priscacara Or Eolates?

oilshale

This is the newest fish in my collection.

It was listed on ebay by a well known professional dealer as a Priscacara from an old, private collection. The picture looked suspicious to me; so I took my chances and bought it. Not too expensive - I had to pay 70 or 80 bucks plus shipping.

It turned out to be what I hoped: It seems to be an Eolates gracilis from the Eocene of Monte Bolca. It is definitely not a Priscacara.

The first picture is the eBay fish I bought.

The second picture is an Eolates gracilis from NHM, London

post-2081-064810700 1278442508_thumb.jpg

post-2081-060727100 1278444169_thumb.jpg

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Well, I do not feel very comfortable knowing this, but that's eBay.

You can loose a lot of money and next day, make great deals. I've been once ripped by a lady (subderm8). She offered a Mesosaur and I paid 500US$ for it. In the beginning it was a very nice and professional communication. Since it takes more than 4 weeks for a parcel to arrive in Germany (transportation is fast, but German customs takes so long for sniffing), I did not worry for quite a time. After waiting for 6 weeks, I've got nervous. No response, no email. Even though I paid with Paypal, I couldn't get my money back. Since international shipping (and sniffing) normally takes so long, the time limit for filing a claim is almost always exceeded. That's also eBay.

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Well, I do not feel very comfortable knowing this, but that's eBay.

You can loose a lot of money and next day, make great deals. I've been once ripped by a lady (subderm8). She offered a Mesosaur and I paid 500US$ for it. In the beginning it was a very nice and professional communication. Since it takes more than 4 weeks for a parcel to arrive in Germany (transportation is fast, but German customs takes so long for sniffing), I did not worry for quite a time. After waiting for 6 weeks, I've got nervous. No response, no email. Even though I paid with Paypal, I couldn't get my money back. Since international shipping (and sniffing) normally takes so long, the time limit for filing a claim is almost always exceeded. That's also eBay.

That does seem compressed for a Pris. Maybe you did get lucky.

post-1313-028662200 1278505169_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

That does seem compressed for a Pris. Maybe you did get lucky.

post-1313-028662200 1278505169_thumb.jpg

I am pretty sure about Bolca. I know this stone good enough; color, microstructure and hardness are completely different to Green River material. I've spent a couple of weeks in this area trying to find something interesting. Digging is strictly forbidden and the waste rock piles are already searched through. Good spots can be old roads where they used this material as gravel. Of course, there it is only possible to find small sized fossils.

I am not 100% sure about Eolates. Cyclopoma gigas looks similar, but the body shape is slightly different.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/8033-cyclopoma-gigas/

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

I am pretty sure about Bolca. I know this stone good enough; color, microstructure and hardness are completely different to Green River material. I've spent a couple of weeks in this area trying to find something interesting. Digging is strictly forbidden and the waste rock piles are already searched through. Good spots can be old roads where they used this material as gravel. Of course, there it is only possible to find small sized fossils.

I am not 100% sure about Eolates. Cyclopoma gigas looks similar, but the body shape is slightly different.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php/gallery/image/8033-cyclopoma-gigas/

agreed :D

Thomas

Be true to the reality you create.

Monte Bolca! Nice "catch"!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 3 months later...

I am pretty sure about Bolca. I know this stone good enough; color, microstructure and hardness are completely different to Green River material....... I am not 100% sure about Eolates. Cyclopoma gigas looks similar, but the body shape is slightly different.

Hello oilshale, I just come to discover this message

I completely agree with you for microstructures and the color, and also for the preparation of the fossil and matrix. Even the vertebral columns on the part/counterpartof makes thought of Bolca.

On the other hand, I think more of Eolates gracilis. The second dorsal fin ( the more round posterior) joins the base of the tail fin as at Eolate. At Cyclopoma gigas, the second ridge is shorter and more centred on the back.

It is a very beautiful fossil and a beautiful affair.

Nuit des Temps (Français/English) : http://www.nuitdestemps.com