Mazon Creek Millipedes ?

idigfossils

Well ....everyone was so helpful with my last ID problem I thought why not ask again. I think these specimens are both millipedes....perhaps Euphoberia.... not sure, my Mazon book does not have many comparison pictures. I will also check RCFossils gallery to see if anything matches - really a great resource - glad you have the images posted !

Thanks in advance !

Scott

post-3791-010413300 1281677965_thumb.jpg

post-3791-068079600 1281677977_thumb.jpg

Well ....everyone was so helpful with my last ID problem I thought why not ask again. I think these specimens are both millipedes....perhaps Euphoberia.... not sure, my Mazon book does not have many comparison pictures. I will also check RCFossils gallery to see if anything matches - really a great resource - glad you have the images posted !

Thanks in advance !

Scott

I also should like to have this problem :P

very nice fossil, congrats!!!

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Hi Scott,

Yes, you have two very nice specimens of Euphoberia sp. that from the looks of it, are from the actual Mazon Creek. The species on both is probably armigera however the millipede and centipede fauna are badly in need of review.

The first specimen appears to be relatively complete. I have a friend who can prep off the remaining matrix. Send me a message if you are interested.

post-1313-058237700 1281742476_thumb.jpg

Here is a millipede. Best I have, so I hope it helps. :D

Be true to the reality you create.

Hi Scott,

Yes, you have two very nice specimens of Euphoberia sp. that from the looks of it, are from the actual Mazon Creek. The species on both is probably armigera however the millipede and centipede fauna are badly in need of review.

The first specimen appears to be relatively complete. I have a friend who can prep off the remaining matrix. Send me a message if you are interested.

Hi RCFossils,

Thanks very much for looking and verifying the ID. I have collected in Pit 11, an area in Braceville where there was a lone spoil heap (down the road a piece from Godley, where the Pit 11 entrance was, but the vast (90%+) of my collecting was done at a locality off the Lorenzo Rd. exit. I met another collector, who is still a friend after 30+ years, he had access to an area and we dug at first with shovels, then with a construction equipment - fantastic days !

I know the first specimen was found at this locality, but I would have to double check on the second, but it is likely it was from this location as well. As silly as it might sound I have never been to the actual Mazon Creek, I would like to check it out if I could ever find it or access to it ! LOL.

Thanks for your generous offer of prep help.... I would be very interested. I assume you are talking about the lower right portion which seems to cover the remaining portion of the millipede. If you think this could be removed, it's worth a try. I am fairly close to you - Northbrook area - so at least we are both local.

How do I send a message ?

Oh yeah.... what does the "sp." mean ?

Your help is really appreciated.

Scott

I also should like to have this problem :P

very nice fossil, congrats!!!

Thanks Fossili Veraci..... I took a quick look at your site....looks really interesting....I will have to spend some more time there !

Scott

post-1313-058237700 1281742476_thumb.jpg

Here is a millipede. Best I have, so I hope it helps. :D

Appreciate the pic Frank.... will take a closer look.

Scott

Hi Scott,

RCFossils......found this link ... thought you might find it interesting if you didn't already know about the site :

http://www.georgesbasement.com/Langford-WilmingtonCoalFlora/Webpage/EuphoberiaarmigeraEtractaEhystricosaAnnelidPP90-91.htm

pretty wild to see the original handwritten notes and old photos

Sounds like the area you collected the millipedes at is a site known to collectors as Dresden Lakes. Ity was widely known as great site to collect large plants. For a while the landowner would let people collect for a small fee. The site is now lost to development and overgrowth.

I have seen some nice animals come from that area over the years. My largest complete millipede was also collected from Dresden.

Thanks for the link to the Langford site. I have not seen a lot of the information listed.

post-1202-010888200 1281977740_thumb.jpg

post-1202-058938300 1281977782_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Sounds like the area you collected the millipedes at is a site known to collectors as Dresden Lakes. Ity was widely known as great site to collect large plants. For a while the landowner would let people collect for a small fee. The site is now lost to development and overgrowth.

I have seen some nice animals come from that area over the years. My largest complete millipede was also collected from Dresden.

Thanks for the link to the Langford site. I have not seen a lot of the information listed.

nice one this was my dads first millipede it was quite nice. you bought it at a very low price too.