Show Us Your Folded Rocks

Nandomas

Got Syncline?

post-423-034969800 1283467923_thumb.jpg

Sidling Hill road cut, Hancock, Maryland.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Yikes..... Great photo's.... I've had a look through my photos.. Nothing like those.... Imagine the team doing that road cut and being there when that finally appeared wow...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

These pics are wonderful ! I don't know the english words, but in France we say "synclinorium" for the first one, and "synclinal" for the second one (It exists "anticlinal" too).

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Great photos Nando and Auspex. I'll have some contributions later when I get home and go through my Panoramas. In the meantime, if you like to see folds and learn about some of the processes that go into making them check out this blog: http://mountainbeltway.wordpress.com/

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

WOW... I know this place, it is on my way to WV. Did you found fossils there? ;)

Collecting is not permitted, but there is (was?) a visitor's interpretive center; due to budget cuts, it may no longer be open...I just don't know.

My link

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Great photos Nando and Auspex. I'll have some contributions later when I get home and go through my Panoramas. In the meantime, if you like to see folds and learn about some of the processes that go into making them check out this blog: http://mountainbeltway.wordpress.com/

Dave - thanks for posting this link.

Not only is the Syncline/anticline article great, but the book review beneath it was interesting as well.

Thanks again for posting the link.

Regards,

PS - Great pics, Nando and Auspex!

Thanks for sharing those.

Very Interesting thread Nando! Thanks for starting it!.

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Dave - thanks for posting this link.

Not only is the Syncline/anticline article great, but the book review beneath it was interesting as well.

Thanks again for posting the link.

Regards,

PS - Great pics, Nando and Auspex!

Thanks for sharing those.

Very Interesting thread Nando! Thanks for starting it!.

Thanks friends :D

Here the panorama from the folded rock in Agios Pavlos: Isn't it beautiful? B) B)

post-1112-065310300 1283522980_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nandomas

Erosion... will be my epitaph!

http://www.paleonature.org/

https://fossilnews.org/

Oooo... I wanna go there!

But for now I have this, a complex fold in part of the Appalachians.

post-1408-032481000 1283548609_thumb.jpg

and this is a view of the side of a tightly folded anticline/syncline series of folds near Shamokin, PA. You can see a cross section of the folds on the left and the large hump running from left to right is call the "Whaleback".

post-1408-054275600 1283549272_thumb.jpg

A closer view of the cross section

post-1408-099375300 1283549277_thumb.jpg

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thank Shamalana

another beach, this time in Asturias, North Spain: Playa de la Vega

Oh ! Playa de la vega, near Berbès ! A lot of nice remembers ! But I never seen that ! What a pity ! Thanks for the pic.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Ooo, that looks yummy!

-Dave

Just found a few more pics in my field trip archives. These were found in a a moraine in Rocky Mountain National Park. Had they been smaller, it not been a national park and not on a steep mountainside... They would have come home with me. :)

post-1408-048411600 1284770447_thumb.jpg

post-1408-047446600 1284770453_thumb.jpg

-Dave

From my trip to meet DHK this weekend. :)

Pennsylvanian aged Rhode Island Formation (? )

Plainville, Massachusetts.

post-2806-004615400 1285030784_thumb.jpg

post-2806-009175500 1285030883_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Guetaria, Guipuzkoa, Northern Spain. Near the K/T boundary.

This 4-5 kilometres flysch cliffs, are very famous, because they have been studied for many years by American, European and Japanese scientists.

Why? Apart from the K/T boundary, with the iridium-rich layer, this place is one of the few places on earth that you can find two major boundaries: the K/T and the Paleocene/Eocene one. Most of it haven`t got macrofossils, except for the oldest layers (black flysch), with a strange gigantic fauna of ammonites that in other places are rare or common, but haven`t got this size.

post-62-046243800 1285054294_thumb.jpg

Guetaria, Guipuzkoa, Northern Spain. Near the K/T boundary.

This 4-5 kilometres flysch cliffs, are very famous, because they have been studied for many years by American, European and Japanese scientists.

Why? Apart from the K/T boundary, with the iridium-rich layer, this place is one of the few places on earth that you can find two major boundaries: the K/T and the Paleocene/Eocene one. Most of it haven`t got macrofossils, except for the oldest layers (black flysch), with a strange gigantic fauna of ammonites that in other places are rare or common, but haven`t got this size.

post-62-046243800 1285054294_thumb.jpg

Sorry! This is NOT Guetaria. Is ZUMAIA.

Hi all,

Nice topic! This is folding (and refolding) on a relatively small scale at the Cap de Creus, Spain. The whole peninsula near the lighthouse is made up of little structures like this one; enough to make a second year geology student (I was one back when I took the photo) despair, ha-ha.

post-2676-002549000 1285331959_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

Tim

Searching for green in the dark grey.