A Couple More N. Arkansas Fossils

fossilfinder

I welcome help to give these a name? These are from my fossil patch here in Marion co. Ar. ( North Central Ark.)

post-412-1209519494_thumb.jpg

post-412-1209519552_thumb.jpg

post-412-1209519791_thumb.jpg

Nice chunks of crinoidal debris. Looks fairly crystaline; wonder if it could be slabbed and polished? A thin section with a backlight might make a cool display.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice chunks of crinoidal debris. Looks fairly crystaline; wonder if it could be slabbed and polished? A thin section with a backlight might make a cool display.

I'm not sure I have a black lite, maybe one in the kids rooms! If I find one I'll give it a try and post it ! Thanks

I'm not sure I have a black lite, maybe one in the kids rooms! If I find one I'll give it a try and post it ! Thanks

That's BACKLIGHT, like is sometimes used behind agate slices for display. I just thought that if the material can take being sliced, it might be translucent enough to be an interesting "nite lite", what with all the voids & such. Lots of visual texture. Now, if it flouresces under blacklight, that would be cooler still!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

The first one appears to be an external mold of a crinoid.

That stuff looks like chert. I wouldn't cut it with my saw.

That's BACKLIGHT, like is sometimes used behind agate slices for display. I just thought that if the material can take being sliced, it might be translucent enough to be an interesting "nite lite", what with all the voids & such. Lots of visual texture. Now, if it flouresces under blacklight, that would be cooler still!
I misread your post, thanks for the correction! Still sounds like a good ideal ! :D

The first one appears to be an external mold of a crinoid.

That stuff looks like chert. I wouldn't cut it with my saw.

Maybe a dumb question, but is chert similar in hardness to flint?

Guest solius symbiosus
Maybe a dumb question, but is chert similar in hardness to flint?

No questions are dumb, only answers.

Yeah, It is the same stuff ... Micro crystalline quartz(chalcedony).

Fossilfinder - Can you find the limestone that this chert is weathering out of? If so, start looking there too. You will find the fossils aren't as numerous, but they will be MUCH better preserved....external fossils instead of the internal molds/casts you are finding.

Fossilfinder - Can you find the limestone that this chert is weathering out of? If so, start looking there too. You will find the fossils aren't as numerous, but they will be MUCH better preserved....external fossils instead of the internal molds/casts you are finding.
YES, I have found the limestone where its meets up with this chert! And the fossils ARE much better! The problem is I haven't been finding very much of it. I dozzed down around 5 ft deep in this bed and this is where the best fossil are coming from! I plan on getting my dozer back to this spot this spring and going much deeper, where I hope to find much more of this limestone! In this photo what you are refering to ?

post-412-1209561194_thumb.jpg

emly

I haven't seen any of your photos that are the limestone. They are all chert inclusions. If you find the Burlington limestone creating the chert, you can find beauties like this"

http://www.fossilmuseum.net/Fossil-Picture...3/blastoids.htm

Those are beauties indeed! I have high hopes of digging into a very good area. The ground is extremly hard, made up of 50% rock and red clay on the mountain top! The deeper I go the better the fossils!! Can't wait!!! I have found some white soft rock I do believe is lime stone.