Sharks Teeth In Kentucky

Megalodon_hunter

Does anyone know about possible sharks teeth in Kentucky? I knew about the Crinoids but Sharks teeth?

I read this the other day. Considering this is a short drive from my home in Missouri I was thinking about paying a visit.

KY Highway 131 road cuts: A new series of road cuts between Interstate 65 and Fort Knox contains geodes and fossils. The geodes can contain calcite which may be highly fluorescent and/or phosphorescent... fossils are from the Mississippian age and include brachiopods, crinoids, shark teeth.

"One of these day's I'm going to find a tooth over 3inches."

Deltodus, Orodus, Petalodus..."shell-crusher" sharks of the Mississippian; decidedly un-Meglike. Google them to train your eyes, and go hunting! I think Paleozoic sharks are pretty cool :)

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I am also a rock hound as well. Actually have more gear for searching for gems & minerals.

However I think I've been bit by the Shark teeth bug pretty bad.

HA HA HA Don't worry man it happens to lots of us.

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

I am also a rock hound as well. Actually have more gear for searching for gems & minerals.

Check your tetanus shot, and good luck!

On the Internet check out Dr. Fumio Nakagawa's web site J-elasmo for pictured of Paleozoic shark teeth from Kentucky and Indiana. I was amazed at the specimens in this collection.

See this link for the web addresses to his site and others that will show pictures of shark teeth: http://louisvillefossils.blogspot.com/2010/08/japanese-shark-teeth-web-site.html

The road cut area you list show a lot of exposed rock with wide shoulders to park at. I have never found shark's teeth there just crinoid stem pieces, gypsum, trilobite pieces, corals, and one pea sized blastoid.

Good luck with your hunting.

Here are three nice shark teeth that I found in Kentucky. Unfortunately most of the quarries that I collected as a kid, back in the 1800's, have been destroyed during road widening projects over the years.

There may be some areas south of Lexington along the I 75 corridor that produce teeth, but it will take some serious leg-work to find out for sure.

post-210-052601700 1286076698_thumb.jpg

post-210-084437300 1286076703_thumb.jpg post-210-062648600 1286076710_thumb.jpg

post-210-057735300 1286076715_thumb.jpg post-210-023701900 1286076722_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Hi,

I collected as a kid, back in the 1800's, have been destroyed during road widening projects over the years.

Wow !

Your tooth is ... special. I didn't see it before.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

Here are three nice shark teeth that I found in Kentucky. Unfortunately most of the quarries that I collected as a kid, back in the 1800's, have been destroyed during road widening projects over the years.

Fantastic teeth. I don't see many that complete..drooling%2038.gif

Ummm, you collected those in the 1800's? :P

Welcome to the forum!

Fantastic teeth. I don't see many that complete..drooling%2038.gif

Ummm, you collected those in the 1800's? :P

I'm old, reallllllly old.

Hi,

Wow !

Your tooth is ... special. I didn't see it before.

Coco

It's rare to find large Carboniferous teeth in eastern Kentucky. These three teeth were collected over a period of about 10 years of intermittent hunting.

There may be some areas south of Lexington along the I 75 corridor that produce teeth, but it will take some serious leg-work to find out for sure.

post-210-052601700 1286076698_thumb.jpg

post-210-084437300 1286076703_thumb.jpg post-210-062648600 1286076710_thumb.jpg

post-210-057735300 1286076715_thumb.jpg post-210-023701900 1286076722_thumb.jpg

Wow thanks for sharing those are really cool!!

I'm old, reallllllly old.

That's why they call him PaleoRon.

Nice teeth. I never saw any of those when I lived there, but then I am still learning that there are many more types of fossils that I still need to find there.

• 8 years later...

Wow! Those Shark teeth from Kentucky are amazing! Way better than any Pristine Meg that i have found! Pretty much because they are so rare! 

I would LOVE to find ANY shark teeth here in KY! I saw where someone had found a Megalodon tooth in KY Lake I believe. It's my goal and would be a dream find to give my son. :meganim: