Super Rare Trilobite

ebrocklds

here is a super rare trilobite that i found going through some scraps i have had sitting around for more than a year. i thought it was only a partial then i found the other bit of rock and cleaned it out a bit to realize that it is nearly complete. and to my knowledge only the second full bug to be found at the site. it is cambrian from central utah. ( i would be more specific but i know that the site almost unknown and was told to me in confidence, so out of respect for anothers hard work i leave out further information) it is an Olenoides n sp that is currently being described. the other specimen is almost finished being prepared and should be awsome when finished. if i can aquire permission i will post an image of the complete bug.

200805071227461.JPG

this is a small palm frond, or part of one anyways, that i prepared this week. not too spectacular but i thought it was neat. Eocene, Green River Formation, Kemmerer Wy. Split fish quarries.

2008050712279969.JPG

enjoy.

Brock

Good stuff as always, Brock. Also, I must commend you on proper etiquette concerning the other guy's honey hole.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Guest N.AL.hunter

They let you keep the palm frond? Count yourself very lucky, or did you have to pay extra for it? As for the trilobite, nice find. I found some similar pieces on Fossil Mountain in Utah, but the spines much shorter and no snout. Very nice.

thanks dan.

n.al.hunter, the trilobites from fossil mountain are younger. they are ordovician in age. i have several pygidia from there but no complete bugs. here are the two types the first i belive is a Pseudocybele sp. and the other i don't quite know. they are both "ibexian" millard county utah.

200805071357206.JPG

2008050713574174.JPG

the palm is actually one that i got in a large collection that i bought last year. i am just now getting around to prepping it.

brock

here is a super rare trilobite that i found going through some scraps i have had sitting around for more than a year. i thought it was only a partial then i found the other bit of rock and cleaned it out a bit to realize that it is nearly complete. and to my knowledge only the second full bug to be found at the site. it is cambrian from central utah. ( i would be more specific but i know that the site almost unknown and was told to me in confidence, so out of respect for anothers hard work i leave out further information) it is an Olenoides n sp that is currently being described. the other specimen is almost finished being prepared and should be awsome when finished. if i can aquire permission i will post an image of the complete bug.

200805071227461.JPG

are you sure this an Olenoides ? it looks more like an odontopleurid to me

I don't have to know an answer. I don't feel frightened by not knowing things; by being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose — which is the way it really is, as far as I can tell, possibly. It doesn't frighten me. ~ Richard Feynman

Cool bug! I am very interested in seeing this restored to its full beauty.

marnix

i am certain that it is an Olenoides sp. this trilobite has been published in Gunther and Gunther Brigham Young University Geology Studies Volume 28 part 1 june 1981. here is a restoration diagram that they composited from fragments. fairly accurate just missing the second spine off the last thoracic ring. my specimen is different looking because the head is curled under making the occipital spine point forward rather then along the back.

2008050716548812.JPG

brock

marnix

i am certain that it is an Olenoides sp. this trilobite has been published in Gunther and Gunther Brigham Young University Geology Studies Volume 28 part 1 june 1981. here is a restoration diagram that they composited from fragments. fairly accurate just missing the second spine off the last thoracic ring. my specimen is different looking because the head is curled under making the occipital spine point forward rather then along the back.

brock

Now I get it! Thanks for the illustration! Boy-oh-boy, what a great bug; prep & repair will be delicate work, especially given what's at stake. PLEASE post the results!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

wow brock that is nice! Which part did you know you had and which did you find later? Must have been a great feeling realising you had a near complete specimen.

Ben.

P.s if you come across any nice rare Agnostids in your secret location you know who to contact ;):D

i knew i had the pygidium and partial body. then i found the other rock that looked like it only had the other part of the body. but upon closer inspection and a little work with the air abrasive i found the head.

brock

here is wha ti have learned. there has been 5 complete (or nearly so) ones found. here is a picture of a prepared one thanks to Jake Skabelund.

2008050910322560.jpg

what a wild bug

brock

Who needs Morocco?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
my specimen is different looking because the head is curled under making the occipital spine point forward rather then along the back.

Perhaps, it was in a defensive position when it met it's demise.

Nice find.

so i have been working on the prep on this little guy for a few hours today. i was able to replace the second spine on the back that split off in the counter part. i also did some prep on the face area and it looks like the libregena are missing, DANG! if this turns out to be the case i will reconstruct them. but since i have to reconstruct them already, i thought i would prep the occipital spine free standing and have the libregena and the genal spines free standing as well. it will be a major undertaking but i think that it will turn out super cool. pics of the progress will follow on this same thread.

Brock

ok so after about 5 hours or so i have made alot of progress. i go the rock trimmed up to its final dimensions. i finished preparing the reattached spines, there ended up being three not one, so that they are free standing. i also started to work on the face area getting it ready for recontruction. i have used another occipital spine from the backside of this specimen to replace the missing one. i had to prepare it completely free of matrix then attach it to the end on the end of the broken one. it is now free standing. although i will probably need to take it off again to finish the rest of the restoration. i will also be restoring the missing part of the pygidial spine free standing. this is going to look soo coll once it is done. i am soooo excited. here are a few pictures that illustrate what i have just said.

post-37-1210484790_thumb.jpg

post-37-1210484798_thumb.jpg

post-37-1210484805_thumb.jpg

Guest Nicholas

Great stuff Brock, make sure you include all the photos on your online albums I like to see your progress.

• 4 weeks later...

freakin amazing trilo! looks like the prep jobs going quite well! i cant wait to see it finished

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.