Signed Up To Find Out What This Is...

Rev. R. Farrier

I am not a fossil hunter due to my lack of time for any real hobby while I am in college. So, I have no clue how to even recognize fossils unless the detail is most obvious to the casual observer. I was going through my closet several years ago and found this odd looking stone like thing in a bucket of shells that I gathered when I was a kid. I don't know if it was found on the beach with the shells or if it was found elsewhere and just added to the collection. Truth is, I am not even sure if it is a fossil or not. The material is unlike any rock I have seen. The shape just doesn't seem like a rock, it looks too organic. I don't know if you can tell with the photos, but it is slightly concave with a raised ridge down the length of the concave side from point to point. One corner has been broken away.

post-441-1210295950_thumb.jpgpost-441-1210295942_thumb.jpgpost-441-1210295927_thumb.jpgpost-441-1210295915_thumb.jpgpost-441-1210295902_thumb.jpg

Thanks for any assistance in identifying this thing,

Rev. R. Farrier

Edit: I forgot to add, it is 5inches from point to point along the raised ridge.

I have one vote for lower part of a turtle shell, any more takers out there?

That would have to be one heck of a turtle for that to be a section out of his shell. :o pretty cool :)

So yall think that this is not just a rock after all?

I almost put it in a display case a while back and called it a fossilized dragon scale. I had the idea of making up a background story about when it was found and by whom. :P I would much rather know what it really is though. lol

Rev. R. Farrier

Structure?? Matrix?? My apologies for my ignorance, but since I have no background in fossils, I need that in layman's terms. Are you referring to the composition of the stone itself or structure of the ridge or something?

Guest solius symbiosus

Yeah, the composition of the piece. I know virtually nothing about verts, but if it is a fossil, and not a stone, there should be some noticeable kind of structure. Too, if it is a stone, then grain size, crystal size, ect. would be noticeable in a close up.

Guest N.AL.hunter

I will be the bearer of bad news... I really think that this is not a fossil, but just a stone. There does appear to be some sort of human made working done to it, but that could just be natural.

Might as well go with fossilized dragon scale.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Sorry, but I have to agree with N AL Hunter. I just don't see anything that says fossilized bone.

Welcome to the forum!

I do thank you folks. So I guess that means mystery solved. Maybe someday I will finish college, get a career, and finally have a little time for a hobby. When that day finally comes, I hope to get into fossil/artifact hunting. It is a field that I have always been fascinated by, but never had the opportunity to explore. I don't know where to start here in Georgia though. I have never heard of fossils being found around here.

Thank you all,

Rev. R. Farrier

I do thank you folks. So I guess that means mystery solved. Maybe someday I will finish college, get a career, and finally have a little time for a hobby. When that day finally comes, I hope to get into fossil/artifact hunting. It is a field that I have always been fascinated by, but never had the opportunity to explore. I don't know where to start here in Georgia though. I have never heard of fossils being found around here.

Thank you all,

Rev. R. Farrier

Here's a link to a web page that lists some Georgia fossil sites!

http://home.att.net/~cochrans/nwfoss01.htm

I'm sure there are more, if you just search them out on the internet, or better yet, join your local club (once you have time for a hobby!) and they'll take you to all the good sites,,,

Good luck with your studies!

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834