New Tooth Question

falcondriver

A friend of my son found this tooth today. I'm very new to the subject of fossil teeth and I have some questions? First what kind of tooth this is and what makes it the yellow color, instead of the dark color I'm used to seeing? I appreciate any info.

FD

LFK

post-435-1210444882_thumb.jpg

post-435-1210444895_thumb.jpg

The color comes from the mineral in which it was fossilized. The white root tells me it has been "weathered out" for awhile & the sun has bleached it. Yellow is not a common color for this area. Nice find.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

A friend of my son found this tooth today. I'm very new to the subject of fossil teeth and I have some questions? First what kind of tooth this is and what makes it the yellow color, instead of the dark color I'm used to seeing? I appreciate any info.

FD

LFK

Looks like another Moroccan Otodus to me

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

I strongly agree with "Toothpuller" this looks very much like a Moroccan tooth and not like anything one would expect to find in Texas or elsewhere in the US. Exceptions alway exist but I'd question the origin of this tooth a little more closely.

I strongly agree with "Toothpuller" this looks very much like a Moroccan tooth and not like anything one would expect to find in Texas or elsewhere in the US. Exceptions alway exist but I'd question the origin of this tooth a little more closely.

I was very suprised to see that he found that type of tooth in TX. I guess its time to grab a shovel and start digging in that location. I want one too.

FD

LFK

I have a couple of red teeth from North Texas. Also, all shades of grey & black. Some I could describe as slightly pink. I don't find that yellow should be automaticly ruled out here. You are infrering the poster is not being honest as to where the specimen was obtained. I take all posts at face value. I don't see what would be gained by misrepresenting where it was found.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I have a couple of red teeth from North Texas. Also, all shades of grey & black. Some I could describe as slightly pink. I don't find that yellow should be automaticly ruled out here. You are infrering the poster is not being honest as to where the specimen was obtained. I take all posts at face value. I don't see what would be gained by misrepresenting where it was found.

I'm good friends with the kid who found it, so I trust him.

FD

LFK

If it was found at a construction site it could have been placed there by another worker as a joke.

If it was found at a construction site it could have been placed there by another worker as a joke.

It wasnt and you are giving our construction workers wayyy to much credit. LOL

Doesnt really matter to me anyway, I just wish I had that tooth.

FD

LFK

I'm no expert at classifying shark's teeth to species. After looking through Bruce Welton and Roger Farish's The Collector's Guide to Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas, it appears to me that the tooth may be from Serratolamna. They mention it as being rare in the upper Taylor and common in the Navarro of Texas. I definitely wouldn't let the color be any indication of its collecting locale as I've seen teeth with a yellow hue collected in Texas in the same area as those that are jet black and those that are reddish.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Personally, I would agree that it looks more like a Moroccan tooth than anything, but if it indeed from Texas, I think it would more likely be either Cretodus or Cretalamna. Lateral teeth (like this one) from Serratolamna I believe would have an uneven number of cusplets on the shoulders.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Like I said....I'm no expert on shark tooth identification. Still....don't let the color fool you into thinking it has to be Moroccan.

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library