Please Help On This

DinoDragons

Just wonder if any one can help to tell what is this.

I got this in 2003 from YunNan, China. It was thought as fish (bones). However, after I prepared it, it did not look like fish bone fossil at all. It was from a paleozoic or Mesozoic stratum.

post-447-1210498644_thumb.jpg

Umm, To me it looks like possibly a mold of the pallial markings on a brachiopod shell. See Moore, et.al. "Invertebrate Fossils" page 206.

I'm interested in what others say about it.

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

What size is it?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

:o

Thanks, guys.

I don't think it is the back end of a trilobite. The over-all size is about a palm size. Furthermore, when I prepared it, I can see the center stem has a yellowish circular tube structure if I look from the (bottom) side of the picture.

By the way, this is not the only one. Saw many similar stuff.

??Sea Pen??

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Could we perhaps see some side shots with a coin or something for scale? When I enlarge this view, it seems like the long vertical tube is segmented...does it look that way to you?

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Here's the best I can do...look at this photo I've attached, specifically at the vertebral column. It looks really similar to your photo.

post-426-1210595289_thumb.jpg

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

I'm going to take a still different path. It looks to me like a straight-shelled nautiloid in cross-section with some sort of secondary encrusting mineral on the surface. The central "stem" would be the siphuncle and the "segments" would be the filled chambers.

CIMG1536.JPG

Here is the side view.

CIMG1540.JPG

The strange thing is that from the center "stem" (which has nodes), "branches" spread out on both side (which also have nodes), and THEN, at the end of these branches, all were connected.

here is what i think it could be a part of, a Charniodiscus

http://paleontology.edwardtbabinski.us/ven...aran_fossil.jpg

http://www.virtuallaboratory.net/Biofundam...aran_fossil.jpg

these are Ediacaran fossils found in several locations. i do not personally know if theey are found in yunan china but they look very similar to your piece

brock