Shark Tooth Identification Books?

fossiljunkie

hello everyone. i have used elasmo as a great site for shark teeth and i have a book by joe cocke called "fossil shark teeth of the world". while elasmo is a great site, i enjoy flipping through books and i find the joe cocke book good, but limited to the amount of teeth shown. are there any other shark tooth identification guides that you are using that have more photos, more positions, more species such as the hard to identify carcharhinus teeth. seems that there aren't any real great shark tooth books out there that really cover the individual species in depth. any suggestions on great books other than the internet? thank in advance.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

:) Both you mentioned are good sources.Others will chime in as well.I also look up the buried treasure fossils web site for conformation.Hope it helps at least it is another place to look. :D

Clayton.

Bear-dog.

I also have that book, as well as using websites such as Elasmo and BTF. Another dealer site with lots of selection is Lowcountry Geologic. Another good book is Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region by Bretton Kent. The pictures are all drawings, but it covers more species, in much more detail than Cocke's book. Many of the sharks are found in places other than Chesapeake Bay, so it isn't as geographically limited as it may sound. There are other books specific to certain areas like Sharktooth Hill and Texas.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

:) Both you mentioned are good sources.Others will chime in as well.I also look up the buried treasure fossils web site for conformation.Hope it helps at least it is another place to look. :D

Clayton.

clayton,

thanks i do also go to buried treasure fossils from time to time. but again it is the internet and sometimes would rather browse a book instead thats why i was asking about anyone using any good books for id. thanks again.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I also have that book, as well as using websites such as Elasmo and BTF. Another dealer site with lots of selection is Lowcountry Geologic. Another good book is Fossil Sharks of the Chesapeake Bay Region by Bretton Kent. The pictures are all drawings, but it covers more species, in much more detail than Cocke's book. Many of the sharks are found in places other than Chesapeake Bay, so it isn't as geographically limited as it may sound. There are other books specific to certain areas like Sharktooth Hill and Texas.

thanks northern,

I use all the sites listed but i am looking for more books. I will definitely look into the Chesapeake Bay book. I understand what you are saying about the geographic limitations also. I have purchased other books to help with fossil id's that are specific to florida but they are a big help here in south carolina also. I appreciate the info, thanks again.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I like the two North Carolina books. I see no reason why you couldn't use them for your area.

Neogene Fossils of North Carolina

Cretaceous and Paleocene Fossils of North Carolina

I like the two North Carolina books. I see no reason why you couldn't use them for your area.

Neogene Fossils of North Carolina

Cretaceous and Paleocene Fossils of North Carolina

rick,

the main formation here is chandler bridge. only dates back to oligocene, while the fossils in your area date back to cretaceous. no cretaceous in my area and i do have books that cover most common teeth from miocene and pliocene ( within your neogene range). thanks again though i appreciate it. i'm really looking for very thorough books that i'm not familiar with.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

I am not sure what this may be what you are looking for but has lots of nice teeth and descriptions.

I think you may find the same teeth there but not sure how many..

Fossil Sharks and Rays from the Cretaceous of Texas

You can check it out though..

roz,

thanks but no cretaceous formations here in the low country of south carolina. we only go back to oligocene and some eocene. thanks again.

Edited by fossiljunkie

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher

There aren't too many books beyond those mentioned. You start getting into territory where you'd want to look for certain technical articles on sites/formations or certain genera when you want multiple jaw positions and more background info. A book can cover only so many species. Look at the various reference lists within the elasmo.com pages and build a want list from that.

For Carcharhinus you could consider collecting modern shark jaws from knowledgeable dealers although that may be frowned upon these days. As an alternative, you can start collecting good photos of modern shark jaws. Many modern species have a fossil record dating back to the Late Miocene-Pliocene so good photos of perhaps 5-10 bull shark jaws gives you a better idea of the range in tooth variation than any one book.

Joe Cocke wrote that book for the novice. I've been hoping he would do a another book geared more toward people who've been collecting teeth for while. Like you said, it would be great to see something with more depth. I've talked to him in person (great guy to talk sharks with). He was thinking about writing a book about Sharktooth Hill sharks at one point (a different spread of Carcharhinus species than you see on the east coast but some of the same) and I encouraged him to do it.

hello everyone. i have used elasmo as a great site for shark teeth and i have a book by joe cocke called "fossil shark teeth of the world". while elasmo is a great site, i enjoy flipping through books and i find the joe cocke book good, but limited to the amount of teeth shown. are there any other shark tooth identification guides that you are using that have more photos, more positions, more species such as the hard to identify carcharhinus teeth. seems that there aren't any real great shark tooth books out there that really cover the individual species in depth. any suggestions on great books other than the internet? thank in advance.

There aren't too many books beyond those mentioned. You start getting into territory where you'd want to look for certain technical articles on sites/formations or certain genera when you want multiple jaw positions and more background info. A book can cover only so many species. Look at the various reference lists within the elasmo.com pages and build a want list from that.

For Carcharhinus you could consider collecting modern shark jaws from knowledgeable dealers although that may be frowned upon these days. As an alternative, you can start collecting good photos of modern shark jaws. Many modern species have a fossil record dating back to the Late Miocene-Pliocene so good photos of perhaps 5-10 bull shark jaws gives you a better idea of the range in tooth variation than any one book.

Joe Cocke wrote that book for the novice. I've been hoping he would do a another book geared more toward people who've been collecting teeth for while. Like you said, it would be great to see something with more depth. I've talked to him in person (great guy to talk sharks with). He was thinking about writing a book about Sharktooth Hill sharks at one point (a different spread of Carcharhinus species than you see on the east coast but some of the same) and I encouraged him to do it.

thank you very much for the info.

Today's the day!

Mel Fisher