Non-shark's Tooth Id -- What Resources To Use

jbstedman

I'm posting a picture of a small tooth from Lee Creek Mine material. This is Pungo River Formation (Miocene). Well, I assume it's a tooth with a two-lobed root.

I would like some help identifying this tooth, but, I'm also hoping some can suggest print or Internet resources I could use to identify non-shark teeth like this.

Thanks,

JB

post-100-1210899229_thumb.jpg

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Definitely not a whale shark. I believe it is a Dasyatis sp. (a ray) and from Elasmo.com, it looks like what thay call type-H and from a male. Elasmo is probably the best for IDing sharks and rays especially from Lee Creek. For other species, I can only suggest googling something like "Lee Creek Teeth" and see what happens

• I found this Informative 1

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

After looking at Northern Sharks info I have to agree with him. It looks like he nailed it.

Yes, I agree Dasyatis sp., male, Type H seems a solid choice. As was pointed out, the Elasmo.com treatment of rays is very useful.

Frustrating thing is that I already had a print reference on my own shelves (Cappetta, 1987) which would have gotten me to Dasyatis. I didn't recognize it as a stingray tooth. No substitute for experience, I guess, if only to get you started on using the available reference material.

Thanks to all who weighed in on this. Once again, the Forum comes through.

JB

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams