55 Mliion Year Old Parrot Fossil From Scandinavia

Sharktoothguy11222

I just thought this article would be nice for some of the fossil bird collectors here, such as Auspex. Its a really cool article. Unfortunately, though, there is no picture of the actual fossil, but an artist's representation of what the bird might've looked like.

Enjoy!

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/...80516123153.htm

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

An Eocene bird fossil and Monty Python in one story; it just doesn't get any better than this!!!

Notice that the specie is described from one wing bone! At least it was a complete bone; many fossil birds are described from a single bone END. Murky waters indeed.

Thanks for posting this!!!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=KmRdrsvdvaY

The Monty Python Blue Parrot sketch, on YouTube...in honor of the occasion!

Enjoy!

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Thats one thing that really confuses me in paleontology is how can they possible create an entire creature based on only one bone or even a handful of bones. Why do they even try? Only to find out 50 years later they were way off?

Academia is extremely competitive; publish-or-perish. God forbid you should bolster your standing by simply describing the fossil fragment, only to have a rival publish conclusions based on your work. In the field of paleoornithology, Luis Chiappe is the most vocal critic of the far-flung, over reaching conclusion. He really rails against the bone-fragment holotypes that clog the avian fossil record.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thats one thing that really confuses me in paleontology is how can they possible create an entire creature based on only one bone or even a handful of bones. Why do they even try? Only to find out 50 years later they were way off?

"Nothing ventured nothing gained"

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!