Rostral Tooth?

danco

I wonder if this is a rostral tooth (and from which species)? It comes from Venice Beach, Florida and is 2.1 cm long.

Thanks for your help.

post-4401-070832500 1291152545_thumb.jpg

post-4401-023696900 1291152556_thumb.jpg

Edited by danco

Need better pics to tell.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Try shooting your pictures outside on a sunny day with the macro setting (looks like a tulip if your camera has that setting). If not, back up a little so they are in focus. Check your pictures on your computer to see if they are really in focus. That little view screen can fool you sometimes.

Try shooting your pictures outside on a sunny day with the macro setting (looks like a tulip if your camera has that setting). If not, back up a little so they are in focus. Check your pictures on your computer to see if they are really in focus. That little view screen can fool you sometimes.

Edited by danco

I replaced it with an improved photo.

In all fairness, this photo is not easily useful for ID purposes. It is too dark and out of focus. The photo advice you have been offered is good. Hopefully, your equipment will allow a better photo.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

In all fairness, this photo is not easily useful for ID purposes. It is too dark and out of focus. The photo advice you have been offered is good. Hopefully, your equipment will allow a better photo.

I followed the advice. Here are the pics.

post-4401-072237500 1291152495_thumb.jpg

post-4401-071509000 1291152507_thumb.jpg

Doesn't look like a rostral tooth. I'm thinking maybe part of a sting ray spine.

Good eye! I see where you get that; the central "channel" is like that at the base of a stingray spine.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Doesn't look like a rostral tooth. I'm thinking maybe part of a sting ray spine.

That was my first instinct, too. I also vote for fragmented stingray spine

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

This is a rostral. I sometimes finds pieces like that here in Texas that are worn down bits of bone or even wood. Hard to tell by the pic still but I agree with everyone that it's not a rostral.

post-4072-069752200 1291162424_thumb.jpg

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

That was my first instinct, too. I also vote for fragmented stingray spine

Here is what a stingray spine looks like. No likeness with mine.

post-4401-007905400 1291225615_thumb.jpg

Just the basal bit, I think, and it's pretty banged-up.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!