Gainesville Teeth/fossils

Serack

Anson suggested that I post my finds and I figured this would be the best forum to do that. I found these today in Possum Creek Gainesville near 16th Ave.

The tooth in the upper right hand corner is the first Meg (partial this time) I have found since I started looking in Gainesville (I found a few when I was a teen in the Peace River)

The next couple posts will contain a few other finds from today that weren't shark teeth.

post-462-1211316295_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316322_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316341_thumb.jpg

The first 2 pics are of the first Horse tooth I have ever found.

The next 2 pics are of a flat rib bone

Then 2 marine mammal teeth

Edit: oops forgot to add the pics

post-462-1211316632_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316643_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316713_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316727_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316849_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211316865_thumb.jpg

the first 2 pics in this post are of what I suspect to be one of those armadillo plate things but it is very planar and smooth. I have a couple others I found today but they are smaller and don't have the junction that this one has

Then a part of a sand dollar. I was quite surprised when I found this because it's rather delicate for where I found it. (plus I was using a shovel and sifter)

Next 2 stingray dermal plates

and finally a weird fossil that I can't identify. It is kind of like some incisor but very sharp edged... The part at the bottom left is broken away to reveal a hollowness, and the back when wet was a golden polished surface, but dried out it's etched and pitted dull.

post-462-1211317383_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211317404_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211317437_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211317455_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211317479_thumb.jpg

Your horse tooth appears to be a rodent tooth likely beaver, I think.

Your horse tooth appears to be a rodent tooth likely beaver, I think.

Ah, forgive me, I have never found either before and haven't seen a specimen of either in person before...

the first 2 pics in this post are of what I suspect to be one of those armadillo plate things but it is very planar and smooth.

I believe those are turtle shell pieces, not armadillo.

I agree, and the smaller of those two roundish teeth is an alligator tooth. The other looks like another small whale tooth.

I believe those are turtle shell pieces, not armadillo.

That was my other guess, but the back side is very rough.

I found a non fossilized gopher tortise shell in the woods once and the inside of the shell was as smooth as the outside so i wasn't sure. Maybe these are so thick that the under side of the fossil is not showing.

I went out with Gatorjames today and we had some nice finds. He found 2 very nice hemi's in less than a minute and I forgot to get a pic of them, but I found one almost as nice 5 min later which is in the first pic.

1: Hemi

2: Smallish narrow Maco, the best I have found so far in nearly 3 weeks of sifting

3: Nice vertebra that I haven't identified

4: Left to right, Barracuda tooth I think, Nice Gator/Croc tooth with all the enamel, Narrow croc tooth

The Barracuda tooth has a tapered side that is sharp and the other side is rounded.

post-462-1211482683_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211482791_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211482835_thumb.jpg

post-462-1211482991_thumb.jpg

Nice finds.I like the mako,quite weathered though..

Not sure that that is a vert but who knows i could be wrong.

Can you tell me the length on the 2nd tooth(mako).

The maco is just shy of 1.25"

I went out with Gatorjames today and we had some nice finds.

Where'd you guys go? I was out in the creeks all day today; I'm surprised we didn't run into each other!

Initially I was planning to go to the Steinhatchee River today, but the weather forecast looked bad, so I decided to stay close to home. Didn't find anything too remarkable today, though.

The bridge over possum creek on 16th Ave by 27th Terr has a large wash of gravel under it that I have been working for the past 2 weeks to great success.

The bridge over possum creek on 16th Ave by 27th Terr has a large wash of gravel under it that I have been working for the past 2 weeks to great success.

I was there (though not for long because it was later in the day); we must have just missed each other.

By the way, can anyone tell what this is? It's half an inch long, and look like some kind of tooth or pincer or something. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera, so I had to try to use a scanner. You may not be able to see it well enough.

post-9-1211505582_thumb.jpg

By the way, can anyone tell what this is? It's half an inch long, and look like some kind of tooth or pincer or something. Unfortunately, I don't have a camera, so I had to try to use a scanner. You may not be able to see it well enough.

post-9-1211505582_thumb.jpg

Yah looks like a pincher to me, but can't be sure. Most of the ones I have found are a light grayish blue though

P.S. Did you see the large pile of gravel under those bullrushes that I have already sifted through?

P.S. Did you see the large pile of gravel under those bullrushes that I have already sifted through?

I saw a pile or two that looked like they had been gone through and dumped, yeah. Don't recall if it was under bull rushes though. I didn't touch stuff that looked recently searched.