Road Construction Collecting

Archimedes

Road Construction shut down for Memorial Day and with some rain gave me and my friend an opportunity to collect. The contractors are working 7 days a week on some of these road construction projects giving you no chance to look around. We went by 5-6 road construction areas before we found much, then stopped by two small piles of rock and a low cut were we spent the rest of the day. This pile of rock will be gone by the end of the week, they are using this rock to fill in a low spot.

The First Photo is the spot were we found the abundant fossils. The next two Photos are two different types of Pentremites. Finding two Shark Teeth in a day is great, they are really hard to find in Chesterian, upper Mississippian rocks, and both of the Clododus style Shark Teeth are unusual forms, will take any help in identifying them. The tooth on the left looks more like a modern Shark Tooth than any I have found in the past. The last two Photos are a couple of crinoids that were found.

post-385-1211928025_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928073_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928083_thumb.jpg

post-385-1211928173_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928129_thumb.jpg

post-385-1211928203_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928216_thumb.jpg

WOW! Nice finds!

I conjur the image of "vultures" circling the construction site, waiting for the workers to leave...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

HOLY KRYKIES!!! Youve got some damed good eyeballs fella! But those are very nice. Good job!

RB

Exquisite finds, and far out of the ordinary from what I'm used to finding.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Those crinoids make me drool! :o

Congrats on the awesome finds! ;)

Very nice finds.

FD

WOW! Nice finds!

I conjur the image of "vultures" circling the construction site, waiting for the workers to leave...

These road construction sites do not last long enough for a flock to gather, the rock will be gone before this weekend. My buddy likes to collect Mississippian Shark Teeth and these places have a lot of rock exposed to explore, so generally on Holiday weekends we drive around to these places in search of the elusive paleozoic shark teeth.

• 4 months later...
These road construction sites do not last long enough for a flock to gather, the rock will be gone before this weekend. My buddy likes to collect Mississippian Shark Teeth and these places have a lot of rock exposed to explore, so generally on Holiday weekends we drive around to these places in search of the elusive paleozoic shark teeth.

Hey, man. you got to tell me when you go with mr j. Ive got a roadcut by my house, where i found 10 nice calyxes in 20 minutes!

PS, do you know who i am?

I like crinoids......

Road Construction shut down for Memorial Day and with some rain gave me and my friend an opportunity to collect. The contractors are working 7 days a week on some of these road construction projects giving you no chance to look around. We went by 5-6 road construction areas before we found much, then stopped by two small piles of rock and a low cut were we spent the rest of the day. This pile of rock will be gone by the end of the week, they are using this rock to fill in a low spot.

The First Photo is the spot were we found the abundant fossils. The next two Photos are two different types of Pentremites. Finding two Shark Teeth in a day is great, they are really hard to find in Chesterian, upper Mississippian rocks, and both of the Clododus style Shark Teeth are unusual forms, will take any help in identifying them. The tooth on the left looks more like a modern Shark Tooth than any I have found in the past. The last two Photos are a couple of crinoids that were found.

post-385-1211928025_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928073_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928083_thumb.jpg

post-385-1211928173_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928129_thumb.jpg

post-385-1211928203_thumb.jpgpost-385-1211928216_thumb.jpg

The crinoids are Taxocrinus and Phanocrinus

I like crinoids......

Wow! Nice fossils! I always check out like that in Illinois. Last year, my sister and I found many nice fossils on road cut under construction on Saturday where workers get day off. Today there's no more fossils.....they put soil cover and new grass! Sad!

Wow! Nice fossils! I always check out like that in Illinois. Last year, my sister and I found many nice fossils on road cut under construction on Saturday where workers get day off. Today there's no more fossils.....they put soil cover and new grass! Sad!

Yes when in IL you can collect on a Saturday. Would you believe that in Texas, construction can and does frequently,

also take place on the weekends?

Welcome to the forum!

Yes when in IL you can collect on a Saturday. Would you believe that in Texas, construction can and does frequently,

also take place on the weekends?

The reason most of the road construction goes on 7 days a week is that road construction is contracted to a company by the State, to complete certain projects by a certain time, and they try to work very fast to finish ahead of schedule. They do not like you in their way or to find fossils or Indian artifacts in the road construction area that could stop the construction till an evaluation is completed, that has happened many times in the past.

The contractor ended up putting this along the shoulder of the road where I could collect it for a couple of months then covered it over with dirt and has planted grass. Grass what a waste. At least they let me collect for a while.

Thanks All