Oldest Live Birth Captured In Fish Fossil

Roz

OK great item, but again no pictures of the actual fossil!!

Here you go (The fossilized remains of a new species of placoderm fish called Materpiscis attenboroughi show an embryo and umbilical cord in its body (inset box). Credit: Museum Victoria.):

post-423-1212026272_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here you go (The fossilized remains of a new species of placoderm fish called Materpiscis attenboroughi show an embryo and umbilical cord in its body (inset box). Credit: Museum Victoria.):

I agree that it's a fascinating discovery. But, it's amazing what the trained eye sees and the untrained eye (mine) misses.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Guest solius symbiosus
OK great item, but again no pictures of the actual fossil!!

Here are a couple of pics I found on Pharyngula. There is a good discussion in the comments

post-179-1212196637_thumb.jpg

post-179-1212196648_thumb.jpg

a, Diagram showing position of embryo and yolk sac within the mother. b, Artist's reconstruction of Materpiscis gen. nov. giving birth.

I am more inclined to believe that gas build up from the decaying female expelled the dead offspring.

There are a few Ichthyosaur fossils in museums, with young ones that are believed to have been expelled in this way.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Guest solius symbiosus
I am more inclined to believe that gas build up from the decaying female expelled the dead offspring.

There are a few Ichthyosaur fossils in museums, with young ones that are believed to have been expelled in this way.

interesting hypothesis