Green River Fossil Fish Paint Removal

Bob

Can the paint that is used to enhance Green River Fossil Fish be removed ? And what is the process to remove it .Also does any one know what kind of paint etc is used ?

Thanks

Bob

post-1845-0-46343300-1294865858_thumb.jpg

Hi Bob,

First let me compliment your beautiful Priscacara. Are you positive its painted? I have one that looks almost identical to yours in terms of preservation. Because Green River fish fossils are often enhanced with paint I thought mine had to be 'painted' also. Happily I found out otherwise however. Take a small cloth and dip a corner in solvent, acetone will work nicely. Just dab at the areas you're suspicious of and see if any dissolved paint transfers to your cloth. If it's painted and you wish to remove all of it just go slowly staying within the margin of the fish. Hopefully you'll discover a wonderfully preserved Priscy that hasn't been painted.

Keep us posted and Good Luck! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Can the paint that is used to enhance Green River Fossil Fish be removed ? And what is the process to remove it .Also does any one know what kind of paint etc is used ?

Thanks

Bob

I'm not seeing paint there....nice fishy!

Doesn't look like this one is painted. Usually it just the very fine tips of the fins and tail. Also, trying to remove paint with a solvent will only work on some paints. Most restorers use acrylic paint, which will not be affected by a solvent. You can trying lightly scratching a small area with a pin. If the color is just a thin layer on the surface of the matrix, it is probably painted. If it goes down into the matrix at all, it's real fossil.

It is probably sealed/stabilized with a clear sealant. Not to enhance, but to keep pieces from flaking off. I would not touch it. Nice fish!

I agree... that looks natural. No paint in my book. But, if you must, I like the idea of gently scraping somewhere inconspicuous...

Wow, even if it had some paint, it looks so nice I wouldn't want to mess with it in fear of really messing it up.

Curious though, where does the lighter colored outline around the fish come from? Is that natural? Either way it really helps to enhance the fish.

Daryl.

Edited by cowsharks

...where does the lighter colored outline around the fish come from? Is that natural? Either way it really helps to enhance the fish.

Daryl.

I believe that is done (for that purpose) by scribing/grinding the matrix.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree with the others about it not looking painted and that even if it is, it would be only minor touch-ups. Your fish is from what they call the "18-inch layer" where the fossils are darker (more contrast with the matrix) and generally much better preserved. The fossils that come out of the "split layers" (still the Green River Formation) are the ones that tend to be painted to make the fish stand out.

Thanks

Bob

Actually I think it is not painted, it is stained to produce that dark color. (Note the darker matrix as well). Careful application of common rubbing alcohol will disolve and remove some of it. Here is a Prisacara I used that method on.

post-1313-0-18610800-1294938646_thumb.jpg

Edited by Frank Menser

Be true to the reality you create.

First of all Thank You very much everyone for all your input .I believe I will leave the Priscacara just the way it is ,I also think that by looking at it closer it looks to me like a stain was used . I wish that all fossils that are prepared do not use stains etc to enhance a fossil ---natural is the best .Thanks again .

Bob

Yeah I do not see any paint either I must agree with everyone else. However I have a green river fish Knightia that was "painted" over with india ink and they did a horrible job at it. I found that hairspray faded the ink and I applied new ink myself.

We prepare a lot of fossil fish from the Green River formation. Both split fish and 18". We sell them both with and without a preservative on the bones. The bones will absorb moisture from the air and will in time fall off the plate if not preserved. By in time, it depends on the environment where it is stored or displayed. And in time could be fifty years or more, but I have had bones and scales fall off in a couple of years too.

We use different mixtures of vinac on our fish, some times thicker or thinner and always clear to show the natural color.

Some dealers dunk the plate in a mixture of water and Elmer's (90% water, 10% glue). This preserves the bone and eliminates the chalky dust from the split fish layer. I've had potential customers refuse to buy a fish because they were too dirty (chalky). Some do paint the fish to enhance or fill in indentations where bone has disappeared, we do not adhere to this procedure.

We sometimes put vinac on the bones when we prepare the fish. An air scribe can literally blow the bones off the plate unless they are stabilized. I guess the bottom line is what each collector wants and the best way to get what you want is to collect and prepare your own.

Jim

www.olddeadthings.com

Wow, even if it had some paint, it looks so nice I wouldn't want to mess with it in fear of really messing it up.

Curious though, where does the lighter colored outline around the fish come from? Is that natural? Either way it really helps to enhance the fish.

Daryl.

Daryl, and all

the browner color around the body of the fish is the layer that the fish is actually sitting on. The gray that most of the rock shows is the layer they cut through to get to the fish and its own layer of brown rock. The 18 inch layer is made of very thin alternating layers if brown and gray rock.