Palaeoentomologists

Bill

A few years back I was into collecting insect remains from the Lower Cretaceous, Wealden formations of Sussex and Surrey, England. I have not had most of them id'd yet but hope to soon.

If anyone is interested I will start an album of them when id'd.

In the meantime I am rather chuffed with this one. It is in the Booth Museum of Natural History in Hove, Sussex, England. Will get a pic next time I'm there. I collected it.

Palaeontological Journal. Vol. 37 #2 2003

Family Athericidae Stuckenberg, 1973

Genus Athericites Mostovski,

Jarzembowski et Coram, gen. nov.

Ty p e s p e c i e s. A. gordoni sp. nov.

D i a g n o s i s. R2+3 and R1 vein tips very close. Vein

R4 terminated before wing apex. Basal cells comparatively

short, their distal ends not extending as far as the

level of Sc termination. Vein M1 usually weakly arched

basally. Fourth posterior cell narrowed distally; veins

M3 and M4 convergent. Anal cell closed or very narrowly

opened. Stigma very dark, well developed

beneath vein R1.

S p e c i e s c o m p o s i t i o n. Five new species.

post-45-1212084072_thumb.jpg

post-45-1212084085_thumb.jpg

post-45-1212084103_thumb.jpg

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

You found a HOLOTYPE! Congratulations! That's better than a twitcher documenting a first continental record!

I'd personally love to see a pic; I'm not a "bug man", but I do have an accidental collection (associations with bird tracks and/or feathers). After all, insects are bird food!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi Chas.

Yeah it was a buzz when I found out, through asking. It was collected and donated Years ago. Described in 2003. I found out Feb 2008. Also a cockroach gonna be named after me at some point.

I have added a bit to the post in which it also says "gen. nov" which I take to mean new genus, is that correct.

KOF, Bill.

A quick on-line search says that Athericidae are "watersnipe flies", with one extant genus, exclusively N. American.

(Now you've got me searching insect taxonomy)!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi Chas.

Yeah it was a buzz when I found out, through asking. It was collected and donated Years ago. Described in 2003. I found out Feb 2008. Also a cockroach gonna be named after me at some point.

I have added a bit to the post in which it also says "gen. nov" which I take to mean new genus, is that correct.

Great finds congrats! It should be a dream for all of us as collectors to have a new species named after us.

yes gen. nov. = genus novum = new genus

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Wow, you have a right to be proud!!! Congrats on such a nice find!

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

Real Nice

Please start an album of your cretaceous insects

What I Like most about this forum is the diversity of fossils exhibited :D

Hey Bill, seems like I remember something about someone finding a rare insect wing and posted it on the UK forum a couple of years back. Is this the same one?

RB

Hi RB,

I posted mine on there in Feb this year.

I have created some albums for my wings.

KOF, Bill.

Cheers All,

Anyone that is interested, keep checking as I have more wings to add to more albums.

KOF, Bill.

I found a new genus and species of Pennsylvanian insect when I was in college. Frank Carpenter of Harvard (Mr. Fossil Insect) studied it and named it after me....Lycodus garretti (my last name latinized)

Nice one. Congratulations. That is one big insect wing at 110mm.

KOF, Bill.

I'm not a "bug man", but I do have an accidental collection (associations with bird tracks and/or feathers). After all, insects are bird food!

Here are two that I happen to have photos of (both Green River Eocene): one with a mayfly, and one with a snout beetle and a fly.

post-423-1212179426_thumb.jpg

post-423-1212179453_thumb.jpg

I haven't managed to find a complete insect yet.

From the Green River Eocene, it's no great trick (I think Stevie Wonder could find them there). How common are they in the deposits you're working? For good, complete Lower Cretaceous insects the easy way, don't you have to go to Montsec, Spain, or the Santana Fm. in Brazil?

They were not that common. The site, a clay pit, had the odd sandstone lens which these came from. Unfortunately it is now a landfill site. On a society fieldtrip one of the older members discarded a pair of Dragonfly wings which the leader, now Dr Andrew Ross, NHM, London, recovered. I used to help Andrew inspect the remains after each trip and between us we located the piece of rock the wings came from. On taking it back to the Booth Museum, Hove, Sussex, England, Andrew managed to prep the complete, new sp. Dragonfly from it. Dr Ed Jarzembowski, Maidstone Museum, Kent, England, has found a good number of complete specimens from a pit nearby, in the past.

• I found this Informative 1

KOF, Bill.

That's a great story! Why in the world did they discard the wings? Maybe they didn't realize what they had? In any case, perseverance paid off royally!