Poll - One More Trip.

PaleoDan

Only 1 more Big Trip this year - Which???  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• PCS - Lee Creek mine - Aurora NC
    • Peace River FL
    • Venice Beach FL
    • James River VA
    • Calvert Cliffs MD

If you could only hit one more Big Trip (big means overnight stay in this context) this summer, which would it be?

Thanks

always digging for the truth...

PaleoDan

I have never been to any of those spots, but Lee Creek has always been #1 on my list. I might actually get to hit the Peace this fall. Too bad we cant find megs in Tx

LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK LEE CREEK

PCS

LEE CREEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

P.S. If you were at the chat last night, you would now ;)

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Well PCS has been my first choice also but never having been there, I was a little worried the reality might not live up to the hype. Seems like from the responce so far I was wrong. I will hopwfully have a chance to go this fall with the DVPS.

Thanks

Dan

always digging for the truth...

PaleoDan

Just in case you missed the thread, Fossil Forum is taking a trip to Calvert Cliffs this July...we'd love to have you join us!!

-Mary Ann

"There is nothing like geology; the pleasure of the first day's partridge shooting or first day's hunting cannot be compared to finding a fine group of fossil bones, which tell their story of former times with almost a living tongue." Charles Darwin, letter to his sister Catherine, 1834

If you are able to walk, and able to see, then Aurora should live up to the hype. Even bad days are better than most good days at other spots.

I hunt the cliffs regularly, and you can find good numbers of teeth, but most are small and worn. The two time I have been to Lee Creek it was like a summer of collecting along the cliffs!!! Awesome place. Awesome quallity teeth.

LIFE IS SHORT...HUNT HARD!!!

Well, I'd go to Lee Creek, but another thing to consider is that Venice and the Peace River are close enough that you might be able to do both with one trip.

Related question: Who does one contact to get access to Lee Creek?

Guest solius symbiosus

That looks like all vert stuff, so I would take the outcrop down the road over any of those sites. ;)

It appears there are few (any) that would pass on the opportunity to collect at one of the most famous (and productive) Cenozoic collecting sites anywhere in the world. Good choices!!! :):)

Well, I'd go to Lee Creek, but another thing to consider is that Venice and the Peace River are close enough that you might be able to do both with one trip.

Related question: Who does one contact to get access to Lee Creek?

There are a couple ways to get access into the Lee Creek mine. One is to join a fossils club. There are quite a few clubs who get slots into the mine each year. If you check out the Lee Creek section on elasmo.com you can read reports on which clubs have gone into the mine in the past. This will give you a good starting point as to which clubs to check out. Also if you watch the same site (elasmo.com) they will post how to request slots as an individual. Watch closely in August for the fall season and January for the spring season. One thing to remember is that there are more applicants than slots so send your request early.

solius symbiosus Posted Today, 07:10 PM

That looks like all vert stuff, so I would take the outcrop down the road over any of those sites.

There is a great number of invertebrates to collect at Lee Creek. I mostly key on vertebrate fossils but probably have close to 20 different invertebrtes that I have picked up just because they were there. I will try to post some pics of them soon.