Possible Pterosaur Or Mammoth Fossil

maxamegaladon

I found this fossil a couple days ago. I've never come across one like this at Lake Texoma, where I typically find amonite, shell, vertebrae and burrow fossils.

This fossil measures 3" and looks like cylindrical and slightly curved bone with attatchment. As a beginner that's done as much research as I know how, my best guesses would be a pterosaur radius or ulna or a fragment of a mammoth tooth (though my 6 year old would love for it to be a sabre tooth!)

Any help with id or id resources would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

post-5077-0-24260800-1298246573_thumb.jpg

well, the picture is a bit difficult to see well. try taking some in bright light of both sides and both ends. i can't pronounce it a burrow infill yet due to not seeing it that well but am not seeing bone or tooth at the moment.

well, the picture is a bit difficult to see well. try taking some in bright light of both sides and both ends. i can't pronounce it a burrow infill yet due to not seeing it that well but am not seeing bone or tooth at the moment.

Ha ha, that's funny.....OK....not as funny as I'm making it in my twisted, late-night (OK, it's not that late) humor...

When I read that part... "i can't pronounce it a burrow infill yet due to not seeing it that well but am not seeing bone or tooth at the moment"

....I thought to myself, "i can't pronounce it a bone or tooth yet due to not seeing it that well but am not seeing burrow infill at the moment" :lol:

In all seriousness though, I agree....unless we've actually found things a lot there that this thing is a ringer for right off the bat (I can think of things that fit that kind of general description at places I've hunted a lot here in CO), in order to help ID (or even honestly guess at) that thing, we'd definitely have to see better photos.

Sounds like your 6-year-old is pretty smart and has a great sense of adventure. :big thumb:

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Hard to tell whether it's thin-walled hollow and in-filled or not...what is your take on this in the hand?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I think you've found another example of the incredible variety of burrows known to occur in the formations around Lake Texoma. I don't see anything to suggest bone or tooth just as tracer mentioned.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Thanks for all your comments. It's so different in every way than all the burrow infills I've found at Texoma, that's why I posted here. The color is more reddish, it's flattened/cylindrical and it has symmetry characteristic of bone. Although I'm a beginner at fossil hunting, I have studied enogh anatomy to suspect bone or tooth. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to show it to a local forum member in person one day. In the meantime, it's staying in my special finds. ^_^

Thanks for all your comments. It's so different in every way than all the burrow infills I've found at Texoma, that's why I posted here. The color is more reddish, it's flattened/cylindrical and it has symmetry characteristic of bone. Although I'm a beginner at fossil hunting, I have studied enogh anatomy to suspect bone or tooth. Perhaps I will have the opportunity to show it to a local forum member in person one day. In the meantime, it's staying in my special finds. ^_^

I think recognizing "symmetry characteristic of bone" is a good skill to develop; but bone (even Cretaceous bone) will most often show other characteristics in addition to shape. The exterior surface and fractured areas will have textures and features diagnostic of fossil bone. When you start to recognize those things, it always gets your heart pumping. :)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ