Mystery Cretaceous Critters

Jurassica

Clam hinges, I find them all the time down in my creek. There are some clams down in my creek that are about 4 to 5 foot wide.

post-1082-0-98310400-1298607525_thumb.jpg post-1082-0-13188700-1298607528_thumb.jpg

post-1082-0-32514600-1298607582_thumb.jpg

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

Thanks for the plug, Old Dead Things. Yeah, Jim brought his local version of the same thing to the local museum and we told him they are pieces of Inoceramus clams. Very common in some local Cretaceous rock units, as you KS collectors have stated. Yet very common as small parts of much bigger shells. The two photos linked from the Oceans of Kansas web site are really nice fairly complete specimens. Rare... at least in the WY area.

Clam hinges, I find them all the time down in my creek. There are some clams down in my creek that are about 4 to 5 foot wide.

The clam explanation seems like a good one. Perhaps we will find a more complete specimen.

...Perhaps we will find a more complete specimen.

...Yet very common as small parts of much bigger shells. The two photos linked from the Oceans of Kansas web site are really nice fairly complete specimens. Rare... at least in the WY area.

Good luck, Steamboaters :)

I've hunted in an area where these things are extremely common (Smoky Hill chalk in KS)...we'd see another one every few feet, but they were always in so many pieces that the only way we'd ever have taken one out of there whole would be if they were extremely rare and worth something.....cause it would have taken days (weeks) to carefully grab each and every piece, clean it, glue them all together, etc and get it out of there in chuncks that could later be put back together.

So, if you find a section that's even a few square inches that's still intact, please post pics. It would be cool just as a novelty and a fun field experiment/challenge for you guys if nothing else.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce