Fish Tooth?

-AnThOnY-

Found this about 10 years ago and have always wondered what it was, when I found it I thought it was some kind of talon or something, but now I am thinking fish tooth?

The disk is about 4mm with the "tooth" being around 5

DSC_0475.jpg

for whatever reason photo-bucket wouldn't let me upload the other pic but hopefully this is good enough

Thanks much :)

I have no clue, but it is interesting. My vote is an old shark. Do you know what the epoch of the material was (Eocene, Miocene, etc.).

Ya, I think shark too.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Is it round? Whatever it is, it's very cool!

Dave Bowen

Collin County, Texas.

Paleontology: The next best thing to time travel.

I have no idea of the age. I was 10 when I found it. But shark would be interesting I guess I will have to do some more research and see what happens.

Is it round? Whatever it is, it's very cool!

Yeah the top portion is round and its a tubular tooth not flat on the back like a shark tooth

Were found with stingray pieces, and miscellaneous shark teeth (sand tiger, tiger, bull, dusky, lemon).

If indeed stingray, any idea on sp? or somewhere I can figure out?

?Worn dermal denticle from a thorn-back ray? :unsure:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Being found with those sp. I'm more in the 'dermal denticle' corner now.

Here are some Hypolophodon sp. denticles, with a recent Thornback Ray, Raja clavata, one.

post-45-0-25909900-1299000514_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Not really fitting much I see from ray denticles, but I would say your pic is close but doesn't appear that any of your (except the recent one) have a point like end or "enamel" on the point at that. The closest thing I found google searching was a picture from MB on here that was a batoid dermal denticle (ray) but even that looks different. Not sure. I guess I'm probably expecting something to look exactly the same when I probably wont get that.

Edited by -AnThOnY-

?Worn dermal denticle from a thorn-back ray? :unsure:

It doesn't, to me, seem to very worn at all if any. Then again I am not sure what it is so it could very well be

Here is the other one I tried to upload originally

DSC_0476copy.jpg

Ill try to get a few more

Heres on of the top of the disk if that helps

DSC_0478.jpg

Edited by -AnThOnY-

Not really fitting much I see from ray denticles, but I would say your pic is close but doesn't appear that any of your (except the recent one) have a point like end or "enamel" on the point at that. The closest thing I found google searching was a picture from MB on here that was a batoid dermal denticle (ray) but even that looks different. Not sure. I guess I'm probably expecting something to look exactly the same when I probably wont get that.

The Raja denticles do vary across the body. The Hypolophodon sylvestris ones are from the Early Eocene, A lot of them are worn to some extent, and are from a Guitarfish. I don't think they were like yours, but the Raja is similar. The pic' simply shows a couple of denticle designs.

There are pic's of other sp. denticles on the forum.

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

These pics strengthen my feeling that it is a dermal denticle.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Not that I am suggesting it as the species, but >THIS PAPER< might help.

Anthony, I cannot really help you to identify your fossil. It is true that the "sharp" of the dermic denticules of rays are made the same material as the selachian teeth.

Bill, I can specify that the position of your Raja clavata denticle is under the body of the ray, either around the mouth, or around the anus. The denticules of the top of the body is different.

It could be interesting that I made a subject on the dermic buckles of the current lines which I have in collection, but it is often small and I have at present no correct photo. But if that interests you, I can make the work (I just nedd some time).

Auspex, your link is very good !

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

It would be interesting but I don't want you to go through all the work :)