What Is This?

americanafarm

What I am disagreeing with is this statement "The common mis-use of "fossilized" is as a substitute for "mineralized" or "permineralized." Many fossils are preserved by being impregnated or replaced by minerals, SiO2 being the common mineral."

It is perfectly legit to substitute the word "Fossilized" for any and all types of fossils. It is the broadest term that covers "mineralization" or "permineralization" or "dessication" or whatever. It all depends on the authors intention and audience. No where in the definition of the term does it refer only to organisms that have been "turned to stone". Therefore, the term covers those fossils that have been "turned to stone" and those that are still original material. If the author wants to convey more precision, then they can do so with the term that better describes the type of fossilization the specimen has undergone. However, this being an amateur forum (and I am nothing but an amateur), we must expect many members to use the broadest terminology.

FWIW... x2

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

ok, please hold your semantically questionable specimens up to the monitor and click here

Hey!! That thing turned me to stone.

Am I a fossil now? LOL

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

What I am disagreeing with is this statement "The common mis-use of "fossilized" is as a substitute for "mineralized" or "permineralized." Many fossils are preserved by being impregnated or replaced by minerals, SiO2 being the common mineral."

It is perfectly legit to substitute the word "Fossilized" for any and all types of fossils. It is the broadest term that covers "mineralization" or "permineralization" or "dessication" or whatever. It all depends on the authors intention and audience. No where in the definition of the term does it refer only to organisms that have been "turned to stone". Therefore, the term covers those fossils that have been "turned to stone" and those that are still original material. If the author wants to convey more precision, then they can do so with the term that better describes the type of fossilization the specimen has undergone. However, this being an amateur forum (and I am nothing but an amateur), we must expect many members to use the broadest terminology.

LOL I didn't want to put you in the position of defending lack of communication skills or inadequacy of vocabulary. This is a science-oriented forum; and, everyone, young and old, has an opportunity here to learn the vocabulary of science.

I don't think it's possible to disagree with my point; so, you seem to have taken issue with the word "mis-use." No problem! See if this change suits you better:

The term "fossilized" is commonly used as a poor substitute for "mineralized" or "permineralized."

With that revision, the confusion of "cast" and "mold" remains a mis-use of terms; but, substituting "fossilized" for "mineralized" is just amateurish communication.

The term "petrified" remains in the vernacular associated with mineralized or replaced wood, but is not used in modern scientific writing.

There, I'm glad we sorted that out.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Guest N.AL.hunter

Now that is what I mean. You are correct, it was the use of mis-use that I had the problem with. Now, what was this thread about? LOL

geez, sorry for the misuse of the word in my original post.

Don't feel bad. I got this lecture to when I first started. :D

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'

And what a quick learner you turned out to be, bfg! :)

Coming from you that's a great compliment, thank you. :)

In formal logic, a contradiction is the signal of defeat: but in the evolution of real knowledge, it marks the first step in progress toward victory.

Alfred North Whithead

'Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia!'