First Post Storm Gainesville Stream Search

Serack

So we had a pretty stiff storm yesterday in Gainesville, and I've been hearing about that being one of the best times to look for sharks teeth without sifting, so I went to my usual spot and walked the little feeder stream by the bridge, and then under the bridge. For those of you that have read about my spot on Possum creek by NW 16th by 27th Terr, most of the gravel under the bridge is now under a layer of sand deposited by the storm. The water was still a little high and quickly walking the feeder stream didn't yield any megs like I was hoping, but I didn't really feel like walking Possum creek since it still was a little swollen and I didn't have a lot of time. Instead I turned around and walked back up the feeder stream looking more carefully, and here are a few pictures of the better teeth I found.

Although I didn't find any Megs (other than a tiny chunk off the edge of one) I found more quality hemi's than in all my previous hunting, as well as 2 nice 1.5" Macos, a nice tiger, and the biggest lemon I have found yet.

The 3rd pic is of teeth on the left that are my previous biggest specimens of the types I found today (next to their counterparts)

post-462-1213242639_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213242671_thumb.jpg

Also found were 4 cuda teeth. The busted up one is rather large and some of the smaller ones look like they have the enamel still

post-462-1213242825_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213242854_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213242873_thumb.jpg

I like rain; it makes the creeks generous!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I went again for 3 hours yesterday and found a bunch more hemi's some maco's (one very nice), and some bits and pieces of some megs. I found 6 bits of megs total, but the 4 in the pic here were within a few feet of each other and considering how few I have found before yesterday, finding 4 within a few feet of each while canvasing a post storm stream is going to bring me back to that very spot with my sifter and shovel :P

In a couple weeks I am going to get a picture frame style display case and frame some of my best teeth in it and some of these maco's are definitely going to get a spot

post-462-1213369862_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213369880_thumb.jpg

Notice how similar the Meg frags are. Moving water tends to sort things by size/shape/mass; start at that spot and screen your way upstream. The bigger stuff will generally precipitate out of the flow first.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Notice how similar the Meg frags are. Moving water tends to sort things by size/shape/mass; start at that spot and screen your way upstream. The bigger stuff will generally precipitate out of the flow first.

thanks for the tip

More finds today from the same stream!

The first 2 pics are of one of my first finds today. It's my first complete meg, everything else before that has been tiny frags and one small piece that was mostly the enamel part cut in half... This is pristine and has nice color but... well you'll see.

Then for some comparison I have the tooth beside some of my biggest hemi's from today.

Next is a pic of all the bigger meg frags today plus that first tooth. These are pretty much all better than anything I have found before day (with one debatable exception). edit: oops I forgot to add this pic, it's at the end

Next are 2 pics of an interesting pathological maco I found today, then some pics of other macos I found today

Next is a pic of my first shark vert with a stingray pavement mouth plate

Finally I included 3 pics of a very interesting fossil that I am assuming is part of a porpoise jaw bone of some kind. The last pic is end on with the holes facing down.

I'm going to post it on the ID forum to see if anyone has a good guess as to something more specific.

Edit: added a pic of a gorgeous lower hemi I found yesterday. The biggest I have found so far at 1 & 3/8"

post-462-1213482371_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482383_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482393_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482533_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482544_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482591_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482615_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482767_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482777_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213482787_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213483939_thumb.jpg

post-462-1213551229_thumb.jpg

wow you did alot better!!!!! did you use Auspex tip to find your stuff?

nah I haven't started sifting yet. I just spent 5 hours walking the stream. My back (from leaning over and looking at the ground) and legs are tired.

Thursday I spent 3 hours.

however, I was working my way up stream though which is kind of like what auspex was saying. Actually, the intact (but small) meg was about 20 foot upstream from the meg frags in the earlier post.

There was a bit of rain last night and I went back out for an hour and quickly walked about half of what I walked yesterday and found these

post-462-1213551028_thumb.jpg

Great finds that baby meg is a killer!!!! I guess I better get back to the creeks . I love hunting the creeks in Gville. B)B)B):D Going tomorrow any one else? Anson!

post-23-1214077663_thumb.jpg

It's my bone!!!

I've been busy and didn't take pics of it, but I found these on Monday. My first whole megs other than the little one earlier in the post. The one on the right is really worn but the light gray one is a beaut.

post-462-1214098871_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
I've been busy and didn't take pics of it, but I found these on Monday. My first whole megs other than the little one earlier in the post. The one on the right is really worn but the light gray one is a beaut.

wow that one megalodon is great!!!