A Cretan Fossils Collection

astron

Nice one! The before and after shots are sure different - I never would have thought the one could come from the other!

Chas,

Thanks much for the comment! ;):)

Gus,

Yes, as shown in the ''before'' pic, the shell was broken in two big and some small pieces when dug up. Moreover, some more secondary breaks occured during the preparartion. Believe me, it was a hard task to remove the cemented sand from the shells and to stick the broken pieces back! Happilly, I hadn't lose any of them...

CansasFossilHunter,

Steve,

Roger,

Well-aimed comment! ''My little daughter'' - as I call her - makes the difference!!!

Thaks a lot! ;):)

Eric,

You are right that the gasp between ''before'' and ''after'' is huge! And if someone didn't know what was hidden in there, he would thown this afflicted thing away for sure... And to go a step ahead: I think that more people would left it back if they knew that it was going to take them about 3 hours to dig it up and about twenty hours of work to bring the hole fossil in the decent condition now it is...

paco,

Thanks much my friend for the comment! ;):)

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Eric,

You are right that the gasp between ''before'' and ''after'' is huge! And if someone didn't know what was hidden in there, he would thown this afflicted thing away for sure... And to go a step ahead: I think that more people would left it back if they knew that it was going to take them about 3 hours to dig it up and about twenty hours of work to bring the hole fossil in the decent condition now it is...

Most people don't care about fossils at all! But I know what you mean - I have collected some fossils which I have wondered if I would have bothered with if I had known from the start how much trouble it would be, but few of these have had such good results as yours! It takes a fossil nut like you and me to see the value in this kind of work. I am in the process of piecing together an ichnofossil 'jigsaw puzzle' - yes, Ichnofossil! We'll see how it turns out someday...

• 1 month later...

Hello all!!!

Definitely it's not about an espionage agent!!!

post-4345-0-90788900-1389215357_thumb.jpg

I don't use to photograph my shadow and I don't know why I did it here. Maybe by intuition, that it was something good under the shadow, since the sea urchin that is distinguished on the ground was chosen as the Invertebrate - plant fossil of the month Dec. 2013... ( link )

Some of the original photos of this Clypeaster portentosus sea urchin on the next post...

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Late miocene Clypeaster portentosus sea urchin found in Panasos village, Crete, Greece.

post-4345-0-06249800-1389215640_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-70147800-1389215661_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-98355800-1389215720_thumb.jpg

post-4345-0-68957700-1389215795_thumb.jpg

What makes this specimen special isn't so much the nice external condition, as the internal structure that came to the day light after an accidental breakage during the prep work!

And I said that this item is seperate, because I have found many Clypeasters and I have seen countless more while googling as well, but I have never seen their internal structure!
After some additional preparation work, I took some more explanatory photos that are attached to the next post ...

Astrinos P. Damianakis

• Fossildude19 pinned and unpinned this topic