Parotodus Benedeni Teeth

fossilselachian

wow what was he like?

It was pretty amazing to watch him dig, no matter how hard I dug or which spot I was in, he always found about twice as much as I did. Considering he was in his late sixties and I was in my late thirties, early fourties that is pretty amazing (or pretty pathetic for me depending on how you look at it). He was also a very gentle man with a very large heart, but not someone to cross :-). He gave me a mako once he knew was pretty special as well (~3.4" long - it's in my gallery - page 1 picture 7). Every time I saw him he was giving people fossils. When there was a fieldtip for kids he'd be on the Hill "planting teeth" so everyone was guaranteed to find some.

I absolutely believe that anyone with a passion for paleontology as well as the scientific community witnessed the birth of his legacy, an unparalelled collection of mammals, fishes etc. Along the same lines Bob was a guy who in many ways can be compared to some of the early naturalists. A true field guy who had an unparalleled passion and drive to find the next fossil evidence that would help to define Kern County as an important chapter in paleontology.

• I found this Informative 1

Guest bmorefossil

wow he sounds like a great man thanks

i cant find the pictures and im dying to see this tooth!!!!!!!!!

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for the information. I do believe it came from the Langenboom/Mill location. I wouldn't mind

seeing the publicaton when it comes out, that would be interesting. I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Thanks!

Eddie

No problem!

I'll put you on the mailinglist for the article, I had some more requests already.

Paul

"And the men who hold high places, Must be the ones to start

To mould a new reality, Closer to the Heart"

(Rush, "Closer to the Heart" from the album "A Farewell to Kings")

Here's one from an odd location that's far from perfect :-). It is from the San Mateo Formation in Oceanside, CA (~4-5 myo). It is only one of 3 or 4 ever found at this location.

Darn, Marcel! I didn't know people paid that much attention to the San Mateo Formation. Is this from Lawrence Canyon?

Bobby

Darn, Marcel! I didn't know people paid that much attention to the San Mateo Formation. Is this from Lawrence Canyon?

Bobby

Yes it is from the 'Lawrence canyon Local Fauna', listed as ~ 4.5-5 myo. It used to be a quarry in the 70's. I have several flats listed in member gallery .. http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?au...m&album=172

There is another layer exposed in this quarry called the 'San Luis Rey River Fauna' named after the river that runs past the quarry. Both faunas bracket the mako > GW transition although there is an occasional non-serrated tooth found in the Lawrence Canyon Fauna.

About a year ago I saw a fantastic private collection from there (George Lee who collected all over Orange County during the 60's and 70's). It included several 5"+ megs that were sky blue. Very pretty.

• I found this Informative 1

I used to collect with Bob Ernst when he was still alive and I am currently helping with some of the issues you're referring to. We found some amazing fossils in the past. I remember Bob found 2 lower anterior Hexanchus andersoni once thast were fused together at the ends forming the largest Hexanchus tooth ever (each tooth was about 1.5 inches, the total length was somewhere around 3"). He had also found an associated Cosmopolitodus vert string (72 vert) with a number of teeth with it. Another fantastic fossil was a 5.5" meg with cusps (as in big cusps ala angustidens), a whale shark tooth, and only 2 serrated threshers (ever). Of course then there is all the stuff in the museum!

Marcel,

Sounds like an unforgettable experience for sure! Do you happen to have any pics of the serrated thresher(s)?

I'd love to see one/both!

I have one heavily serrated and one very lightly serrated. Not sure if I'll get any more, unless I start digging

into the kids' college funds. :o

Thanks,

Eddie

post-476-1214357330_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214357345_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214357354_thumb.jpg

post-476-1214357362_thumb.jpg

Marcel,

Sounds like an unforgettable experience for sure! Do you happen to have any pics of the serrated thresher(s)?

I'd love to see one/both!

I have one heavily serrated and one very lightly serrated. Not sure if I'll get any more, unless I start digging

into the kids' college funds. :o

Thanks,

Eddie

Absolutely beautiful specimens. Now I'm really jealous :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

And then here are my 3 favorite serrated threshers .. these were the pics I have available now, I need to take some more of the other sides.

1 - 1.96"/4.97cm - Upper Calvert Formation, Pamunkey River, VA

2 - 1.66"/4.21cm - Calvert Formation, Westmoreland Co., VA - this is an earlier form

3 - 2.10"/5.33cm - Ace River Basin, SC - I should take new pics with some sort of scale so you can see how ridiculously big this thresher is.

post-92-1214360263_thumb.jpg

post-92-1214360305_thumb.jpg

post-92-1214360352_thumb.jpg

Guest bmorefossil
Hey bmore, here's the pic to the tooth he gave me.

oh my.......... that has to be the most beautiful tooth ever, do i hear worlds largest as well?

so no one cares about just normal Alopias Grandis lol

oh my.......... that has to be the most beautiful tooth ever, do i hear worlds largest as well?

Hey Glen. I a aware of one that was sold years ago at the Tucson fossil show, I know the guy who owns it and it is 2.3/8" long.

Guest bmorefossil
Hey Glen. I a aware of one that was sold years ago at the Tucson fossil show, I know the guy who owns it and it is 2.3/8" long.

does anyone know what the biggest mako is, i think 3.4inches is close

And then here are my 3 favorite serrated threshers .. these were the pics I have available now, I need to take some more of the other sides.

1 - 1.96"/4.97cm - Upper Calvert Formation, Pamunkey River, VA

2 - 1.66"/4.21cm - Calvert Formation, Westmoreland Co., VA - this is an earlier form

3 - 2.10"/5.33cm - Ace River Basin, SC - I should take new pics with some sort of scale so you can see how ridiculously big this thresher is.

Wow, some awesome teeth! I can actually imagine how huge that Ace River Basin tooth, given the one I have is

1.9" or so. The Pamunkey River tooth is really nice. Do you have any similarly sized unserrated ones?

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

Steve Alter once told me that the largest mako he knew of was 3 9/16 inch, but it had been repaired. The largest all natural was either 3 1/2 or 3 7/16

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Guest bmorefossil
Steve Alter once told me that the largest mako he knew of was 3 9/16 inch, but it had been repaired. The largest all natural was either 3 1/2 or 3 7/16

cool do you know the largest for a desori?

Here's a reputed Benedini just listed on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Benedeni-2-in-Megalodo...1QQcmdZViewItem

One of the seller's comments is puzzling: "I have only one in my collection. You just don't see enough of these to make it interesting to collect."

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

well think about it, if you are wanting to make like a case for just benedeni your in alot of trouble, but for me i wouldnt have a problem finding a place for it

Wow, some awesome teeth! I can actually imagine how huge that Ace River Basin tooth, given the one I have is

1.9" or so. The Pamunkey River tooth is really nice. Do you have any similarly sized unserrated ones?

Thanks for sharing,

Eddie

Yes I do and I'll see if I can take some pictures of them later this week. I have one in particular which is exactly the same shape/morphology as the large serrated thresher but no serrations whatsoever.

cool do you know the largest for a desori?

I have heard of a 3 1/16" river I. desori, but here is the largest quality one in my collection. Just a shade over 2 7/8" and it's a beauty!!!

post-162-1214657870_thumb.jpg

Huge AND pretty AND wonderfully preserved; that one has it all!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 8 months later...