Virtual Fossil Hunting

JohnJ

If you've ever shared that many "in situ" photos with friends or relatives, then you've heard some version of "how did you know what that was?". Other versions include, "I would have thought that was a rock"; "Looks like a piece of wood"; and my favorite, "I'd have never seen that!" (at which point, I'm thinking that my collection benefited because they didn't).

However, I'm sure some of the other hopelessly addicted forum members have had those proud moments when you spotted just a piece of a cool fossil find. Maybe you immediately knew what it was, or maybe you didn't; but you knew you had found something because of your honed skills. B) It would be great to hear some of your stories.

Here are a few "pieces" to get started...mammoth, shark(?), and mosasaur. (go easy on the gravel, Auspex ;) )

post-420-1213676451_thumb.jpgpost-420-1213676548_thumb.jpg

post-420-1213676644_thumb.jpgpost-420-1213677032_thumb.jpg

post-420-1213677206_thumb.jpgpost-420-1213677227_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest solius symbiosus

I've told this story before, but ...

One day I was hunting my favorite outcrop(since been destroyed). I had been there a few hours and decided to leave. Across the road from this outcrop was a smaller one that I had never checked out.

So, I decided to go over to give a quick peek before I left. I noticed a rather large Stromotoporoid, I decided to check it out. Previously, I had found agate inside of one of these things. Normally, agate isn't significant, but It had never been found in this area before I found that piece.

As I start looking at the thing, I noticed a very nice Gravicalymene sp(probable truncatus). Anyway, It was the first complete trilobite that I found.

I had been hunting for a couple of years by then, so I knew what it was right away. I drove straight to my ex-wife's place of work, all excited, and shared the news.

I started doing some prep work on it when I found it, but realized I was going to damage the piece. I guess I need to finish the work.

post-179-1213679508_thumb.jpg

Man John, all killer finds. I expect no less out of you!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

The photo of that stack of verts in the gravel gives me chills! I try to internalize what it was like to look down and see that; thanks for sharing the thrill! (Vicarious fossil hunting, to the shop-bound, is second only to the real thing).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

i think i would have seen the shark verts but for the last thing i dont know how you found that!!!! there is no way i would of picked that up

The vert stack was really cool... I found it on my birthday last year!

Solius, those "first" finds of something you've never found are always exciting.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

I really enjoy those "in-situ" pics. It's always interesting to see the fossils in the environment in which they were found. :D:D

Thanks in advance to all those members who post such pics. Unfortunately, I no longer have any such pics. :o