What Kind Of Sharks In Colorado

mikey

I am new just by luck I guess I stumbled across a place I found over 150 teeth and a few from something else in about an hour

60% of the time, im right every single time.

Welcome to The Fossil Forum from North Carolina. Load some pics under Fossil ID posts and we will see what you have. We have lots of teeth experts on here and if teeth are complet enough you should get plenty of replies as to their ID's :)

Where (in general are you)... eastern plains? CO plateau? What color is the rock? Are the teeth in the rock, or loose on the surface? These are allclues for us to be ableto ID your teeth> Also, a picture or fivewould be great.

I am new just by luck I guess I stumbled across a place I found over 150 teeth and a few from something else in about an hour

Wow! Very cool.

Was it anywhere near where you live in Ft. Lupton?

If you show me where you found them (I live in Frederick), I'd be able to help with the geology of the area, etc which could narrow it down to what age and formation they are coming out of.

Welcome to The Fossil Forum from North Carolina. Load some pics under Fossil ID posts and we will see what you have. We have lots of teeth experts on here and if teeth are complet enough you should get plenty of replies as to their ID's :)

Indeed. The ID section of this forum can help ID things, regardless of where (or when) they are from.

Where (in general are you)... eastern plains? CO plateau? What color is the rock? Are the teeth in the rock, or loose on the surface? These are allclues for us to be ableto ID your teeth> Also, a picture or fivewould be great.

Ya, photos would help a lot when you post up in the ID section.

Some photos of the place where you found them would be really helpful too.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I tried to put pictures I will try again not in lupton east of byers its a real cool place just a big canyon system hidden

Here's a link to the tutorial on posting pictures: My link

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Ok all I could figure out is to put one as my profile pic the place is between byers and last chance colorado its on private property the land owner really has no intrest in anything but his crop the canyon system cannot be farmed so its mine it is sand stone I guess my first finds were just laying on the surface then I dug a little last time and found a ton of stuff I am going back next weekend I will take pictures of the area

And I hate to have to do this Grammar Police thing, but if use a bit of punctuation, your messages would be a whole ton easier to read. I hate having to read a mesaage twice cuz someone is too lazy to punctuate. Hint: I am a museum professional (like Mike Everhart). I would put an unpunctuated message at the very bottom of my list of things to do.

Sorry man I guess a guy cant be good looking and smart

I have never heard of a fossil locality in the Byers-Last Chance area - interesting find I have seen shark teeth from a site 20 miles southeast of Pueblo, CO (Carlile Shale, Cretalamna appendiculata, Ptychodus whipplei, small Scapanorhynchus, etc.). I have also seen teeth from 25 miles southwest of Fowler, CO.

Yes, please post photos of the teeth and the site.

Ok all I could figure out is to put one as my profile pic the place is between byers and last chance colorado its on private property the land owner really has no intrest in anything but his crop the canyon system cannot be farmed so its mine it is sand stone I guess my first finds were just laying on the surface then I dug a little last time and found a ton of stuff I am going back next weekend I will take pictures of the area

Sorry man I guess a guy cant be good looking and smart

Until proven otherwise, you're both! ;)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I'm still waiting for pix (and puntuation). Even if you send pix to Mike E, post them here also, so we can enjoy them.

Edited by jpc

Worked good!

You've got yourself a nice Cretaceous site; I'd sure like to find some references on the stratigraphy in your immediate area...nice discovery!

Very nice specimens, indeed.

Hey Mikey,

if you haven't heard of them or aren't a member yet, you might want to check out the Western Interior Paleontological Society (WIPS for short).

We meet every month at the Denver Museum of Nature and Science, and this month's meeting happens to be tonight.

The topic for tonight will be presented by Dr. Emmett Evanoff & Katie DeBell

The Kremmling Ammonite Site: an update on current and new ways to inventory the ammonite birdbaths

Well, take care.

Good luck finding IDs for your finds, and thanks for sharing some of what you found.

Edited by Mr. Edonihce

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Congratulations, what a thrill it must be to start your collection with such a find!!!!:jig:

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

From a quick look perhaps you have an associated set of Carcharias heathi? Nice finds.

Were there any rootless/partially rootless and/or hollow teeth? If so, those are important as well.

(Next time use a more contrasting background) but from the fact that, it one species with multiple tooth positions and some tooth positions appear to be multiples of the same tooth, it appears that this is indeed an associated specimen and thus of great scientific value.

Edited by Paleoc

Mikey,

You got a killer site with all that variety. :D

Now, I suggest you should be extremely conservative with who you tell about the site. I believe there are alot of commercial dealer type people (and paleo people with no self control) out there just lurking (never posting) websites like this to get wind of new places to vacuum clean. I mentioned one good site once on a different forum and it was the dumbest mistake I've ever made.

Keep the exact locality secret except for your most trusted fossil buddy and your family.

Edited by LanceHall

Good advice, you may want to clean up the site (cover with cloth and then shovel dirt over it and add brush) so it doesn't look like its been worked.

I think we might be jumping to conclusions a little bit regarding the associated dentition hypothesis. He says it is from a sandstone, which would usually indicate a higher energy depositional environment than is likely to preserve an entire shark. I think its probably from a lag bed. His other finds include fish teeth and reptile bone, and there are a few species of shark teeth. A typical lag assemblage assortment. Although I agree that if it is a lag, the Carcharias? teeth definitely seem extremely abundant to me. But I have no experience with the local faunas or stratigraphy of the area so anything is possible. Whatever may be the case, I agree that Mikey should take extreme care with his finds and site! Congrats!

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

Mikey-

Nice finds. Glad you got the pix for us to see. I see a few fresh water critters in there with the shark teeth (three types, at least). The big piece dominating the last photo is a piece of soft shelled turtle, and the teeth in that one look like crocdile teeth (freshwater animals). All of which are common fossils in the Cretaceous, Paleocene and Eocene of our area. But the sharks look Cretaceous (and marine=salt-water), and one would not expect to find sharks in the Paleocene or Eocene.

This is certainly a good site. I don't know about it being one individual shark, but good stuff nonetheless. As for sharing, it might be worth showing this stuff to the folks at the Denver Museum... they are doing some serious research on the late Cretaceous and early Tertiary of the Denver Basin. If you do, tell them that you want to keep the fossils from this site. They do NOT have the right to confiscate anything. (I am assuming you have permission from a private landowner). The DMNS is very good about working with the public to further the paleo knowledge of CO. Kirk Johnson is the man to talk to... bring in a few samples and show him next time you head to the big city, or start an email discussion. I don't have his email here, but it should be available online... tell him JP in Casper sent you. (He'll be up on the Pleistocene dig at Snowmass as soon as the snow melts).

Good stuff... now notice how easy it is to read all this because of the punctuation. Imagine if I had written all this malarkey with no commas, periods or capital letters. Write to Kirk this way... (If you need help, please ask someone... even me).

Edited by jpc

Nice find and interestering spread of material