What Kind Of Sharks In Colorado

mikey

Can anyone tell me what the chunks in the corner are. Whire and black

post-5403-0-36398900-1303846242_thumb.jpg

60% of the time, im right every single time.

Went back easter sunday found about 800 shark teeth and alot of the other stuff too. Did not try to get big slabs like I planned but it was still alot of fun. These are the nicer ones about half were incomplete. Most are half inch and smaller .

There are few who can say "found about 800 shark teeth" the other day!! :o

And this one too. I found pieces everytime I go now i found out they fit together. It is over an inch thick and the big piece is about 4 inches long. This stuff was at the bottom of the hill.

post-5403-0-12973200-1303853104_thumb.jpg

And this one too. I found pieces everytime I go now i found out they fit together. It is over an inch thick and the big piece is about 4 inches long. This stuff was at the bottom of the hill.

Anyone else think this looks like a paddle bone?!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

One more question. Is it a good idea or bad to think of glueing it together as I find the pieces? If so what would I use?

Mikey, that's your ratfish jaw material. Some look like Ischyodus, but you might have a few species. Here's a link with more info http://www.njfossils.net/ratfish.html

By the way, clearly I think everyone will now agree that you are working a very nice lag site. Extremely productive in terms of quantity, but fairly low diversity, at least in the shark department. Pretty awesome stuff!!!

Can anyone tell me what the chunks in the corner are. Whire and black

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

One more question. Is it a good idea or bad to think of glueing it together as I find the pieces? If so what would I use?

A lot of people (including myself) have used Cyanoacrylates (super glue, Paleo Bond, etc) and other reaction adhesives. However, that stuff is harder to 'reverse' if you (or anyone else) will ever need to (e.g. if the specimens ever get into the hands of a professional paleontologist and they want to study the fractures/breaks/whatever, it is pretty difficult, if not impossible, to unglue pieces that were glued together with that stuff).

Better (I know, that's a relative term....and it all depends on what you're doing, but generally speaking...) are things like Vinac, Butvar and other solution adhesives. They are easily dissolved with acetone. So, they are more 'reversable'. Thus, if you just want to put things together out in the field, but be able to take them apart and study the broken edges or reset them into better positions, etc, these are the better adhesive types to use.

Another over-generalization is that the Paleo Bond types are good for holding things together when you know for sure that you will never take them apart again, and the Vinac types are good for just lightly covering over delicate fossils that may otherwise get blown apart or otherwise disasembled by the time you get them back to your vehicle; let alone back home, to the lab, or the display case.

Lot's of great info here...

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/47/adhesives-and-consolidants

and here...

http://preparation.paleo.amnh.org/48/solution-reactive-adhesives

By the way, I have some of each general type. Since you're in my area, PM me if you want to try them before going out and purchasing your own.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce