My First Fossil Hunt! Benbrook Lake Spillway & Inspiration Point - Lake Worth

Joshua

Hello everyone. After finding an ammonite fossil by pure chance on a field-trip over spring break in West Texas, I have become *a little* obsessed about ammonites. After doing some research on ideal locations in for beginner fossil hunters, North Texas consistently kept popping up as people's recommendations - so a little over a month ago I set out for my first fossil hunting trip. I chose to start with Benbrook Lake Spillway and Inspiration Point - Lake Worth as both were highly recommended for beginners. I wasn't disappointing.

These 2 ammonites I gave away to a friend shortly after returning home with them, so I didn't think to take a great deal of photos.

post-5282-0-19861900-1304272147_thumb.jpg post-5282-0-18170500-1304272180_thumb.jpg

The top impression was in a chunk of rock I took a rock-saw to (benefits of being a geology major is I get to use my department's tools!)

The little fella below it is actually one of my favorite pieces, after cutting off the matrix around it - I now have an ammonite for my desk.

post-5282-0-41692700-1304272340_thumb.jpg

Ammonite fossil that didn't hold up well under pressure, poor thing is wafer-thin, beside it is the impression it fits into. Been thinking about what to do with it.

post-5282-0-68698400-1304272355_thumb.jpg

Some more photos -

This big fella was on the road at Inspiration Point, so people were driving on it. Barring the chunk missing from it in one section, I think it held up fairly well. Suture marks a barely visible on the buried side of it.

post-5282-0-56934300-1304272719_thumb.jpg post-5282-0-82105900-1304272737_thumb.jpg

And here it is when I was getting it up out of the ground.

post-5282-0-27660600-1304272781_thumb.jpg

I took a lot of photos - so I will try and keep it limited to the best ones >.>

This fragment of a ammonite weighs in at a hefty 6 lbs...wish more of it had preserved.

post-5282-0-30466400-1304272987_thumb.jpg post-5282-0-83411400-1304272999_thumb.jpgpost-5282-0-07859500-1304273020_thumb.jpg

The fragment was also in the road. When I first saw it, I was all but beside myself thinking the whole thing was there. Alwells.

post-5282-0-91970100-1304273174_thumb.jpg

Last, but certainly not least..

This fragment here is another one of my favorites, simply because one side has calcite crystals covering it - so it sparkles! XD

post-5282-0-28949600-1304273311_thumb.jpg post-5282-0-46896400-1304273331_thumb.jpg

Some assorted ammonite fragments.

post-5282-0-94418100-1304273441_thumb.jpgpost-5282-0-07089800-1304273457_thumb.jpg

I believe I have tentatively identified the small ammonites as Oxytropidoceras sp. and the larger ones as Engonoceras sp. - but any correction to that would be greatly appreciated. All these fossils were in the Goodland Formation (Cretaceous Limestone 105-103 mya) in Tarrant County, North Texas.

The upper limestone layer at IP is actually the lower Duck Creek limestone.

congratulations on having become hooked on fossils. you are not alone, particularly if you find yourself looking for them in north texas. there are several different volumes on texas fossils put out by the houston gem and mineral society that you might find of value, both in identifying your finds and in getting ideas where each type of lithocritter might be found.

if your collecting bug widens then you might make some trips west as well as north. the glen rose formation can be friendly to your rockhammer at times.

Hello. Congratulations on completing your first fossil hunt! It looks like you had a memorable day. I believe you have correctly identified most of your fossils as belonging to the genus, Oxytropidoceras. The larger more complete on in the road, and the large chunk from the road, though, look more like examples of the genus, Eopachydiscus. Are you sure they came from the Goodland formation and not the Duck Creek Formation? The Duck Creek is famous for these very large ammonites. I did not see any examples of the genus, Engonoceras in your images.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the addicted ammonite collectors club. If you will let me know next time you plan to come up to the metro area, I can put you onto some spots where you should be able to find interesting ammonite fossils.

The upper limestone layer at IP is actually the lower Duck Creek limestone.

I appreciate the clarification. I downloaded a map of the geology of Tarrant County, so I'll be sure and pay more attention.

congratulations on having become hooked on fossils. you are not alone, particularly if you find yourself looking for them in north texas. there are several different volumes on texas fossils put out by the houston gem and mineral society that you might find of value, both in identifying your finds and in getting ideas where each type of lithocritter might be found.

if your collecting bug widens then you might make some trips west as well as north. the glen rose formation can be friendly to your rockhammer at times.

I have already purchased Roadside Geology of Texas and Fossils of Texas though I think when next semester comes I'll make some purchases. Central Texas is another spot I intend to check out, I've heard you can get all sorts of goodies just prowling the road-cuts north of Austin along the highways. I am also considering on getting into HGMS depending on how easy it is to get in and what criteria are required (since I live near Houston).

Hello. Congratulations on completing your first fossil hunt! It looks like you had a memorable day. I believe you have correctly identified most of your fossils as belonging to the genus, Oxytropidoceras. The larger more complete on in the road, and the large chunk from the road, though, look more like examples of the genus, Eopachydiscus. Are you sure they came from the Goodland formation and not the Duck Creek Formation? The Duck Creek is famous for these very large ammonites. I did not see any examples of the genus, Engonoceras in your images.

Again, congratulations and welcome to the addicted ammonite collectors club. If you will let me know next time you plan to come up to the metro area, I can put you onto some spots where you should be able to find interesting ammonite fossils.

Since it is the Duck Creek Formation at the top of Inspiration Point, it most definitely puts the veracity of my Engonoceras ID in question. I was looking up info strictly in the Goodland Formation so I most certainly appreciate your input on it likely being Eopachydiscus. And you can bet I will harass you and anyone that is willing to share tips/tricks with me to help in my fossil addiction. And I do intend within a month or two (at most) to head back north and take a look around again. I was debating on Lake Texoma? It's a pretty long drive though from Houston. If not that far north I was thinking about prowling along outcrops by the lakes in Fort Worth again. A bicyclist I met at Inspiration Point mentioned Eagle Mountain Lake as being pretty good for fossils. So many leads to follow, so little time, *and even less $*

Edited by Joshua

Congratulations - Some nice ones there!

Good report, and pics!

Thanks for showing them to us.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well, I'm impressed. You're going about this just right; research, collect, study, research some more...good on ya'!

<The Force is strong in this one...>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Since it is the Duck Creek Formation at the top of Inspiration Point, it most definitely puts the veracity of my Engonoceras ID in question.

I guess it's possible to find Engonoceras in the Duck Creek Fm since that genus occurs in layers above and below but in 7 years of hunting I have never seen one from the the Duck Creek. Engonoceras is such a distinctive ammonite though with it's flat sides (no ribs), coin edge keel, and puzzle piece suture design.

Your non-Eopachydiscus ammos I would label as "Oxy".

Edited by LanceHall

I've taken 2 or 3 Engs from the Kdc, but as Lance says, they are scarce in those layers.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

• 7 months later...

Hey Joshua!

I'm with you, after spotting my first Ammonite fragments, and a fantastic cast, on my first "hunt", I've been hooked on Ammonites! Benbrook Lake has been an interesting spot for me, I walked a hunting trail and was nearly disappointed until I extracted a complete Ammonite measuring 20+ cm!

IP has been good to me for Ammonites, not to mention Tylostoma's and many others.

Have fun and keep hunting!

John

• 2 years later...

Wow! Thank you for sharing your pictures and information about them. :) I live in Fort Worth, Texas. I was wondering if you, (or anybody you might know) could tell me any good spots to look for fossils? It has been my lifelong dream to become a paleontologist and I hope to go to college for it someday.