Worm Holes?

chele

I found this today, thought it was a coral until I looked a little closer. Is it possible that some kind of worm made the holes? It was found in eastern Montana which is the upper Cretaceous. Any help would be great.

Chele

post-5476-0-40245100-1304478326_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-73601900-1304478425_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-02270900-1304478450_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-11786900-1304478476_thumb.jpg

post-5476-0-14021700-1304478549_thumb.jpg

Chelebele

I think the best bet would be the pipe coral Syringopora. But there's even the tantalizing possibility that it's a petrified fern stem. Any possibility of cutting and polishing it?

Sorry if I missed it, but what's the scale?

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Member Matthew Textor just posted a video or some of his Devonian coral finds (Kennedy, NY). The third specimen in

looks generally similar, but in a more eroded matrix.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

kind of reminds me of this worm tube specimen from S. Florida.

post-1313-0-31930500-1304542002_thumb.jpg

Be true to the reality you create.

I think the best bet would be the pipe coral Syringopora. But there's even the tantalizing possibility that it's a petrified fern stem. Any possibility of cutting and polishing it?

I am going to cut it. I need a new blade for my saw, unfortunately there are no stores here that carry rock saw blades(or much of anything else) so I will need to order one online. I will post some pics of it cut and polished later on.

Chelebele

Sorry if I missed it, but what's the scale?

The fossil is two by two by one and a half inches. The holes are one millimeter wide.

Chelebele

Member Matthew Textor just posted a video or some of his Devonian coral finds (Kennedy, NY). The third specimen in

looks generally similar, but in a more eroded matrix.

Thanks for posting the video. It does look similar. I am going to cut and polish it to see more detail.

Chelebele

kind of reminds me of this worm tube specimen from S. Florida.

post-1313-0-31930500-1304542002_thumb.jpg

Ever notice that everybody else seems to find the cool fossils? :unsure: Mine seem kinda blah compared to the fossils I see here. :(

Chelebele

Ever notice that everybody else seems to find the cool fossils? :unsure: Mine seem kinda blah compared to the fossils I see here. :(

:lol:

I totally know what you mean.

Some of us just happen to live near great paleontological resources, and some of us (that's me, for the most part) don't.

So, I just live out my paleo fantasies through those that have access to better resource localities. :)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

BLAH is better then nothing, just wait until the weather settles and you do more hunting

We're still waiting for better weather up heresad.gif

BLAH is better then nothing, just wait until the weather settles and you do more hunting

We're still waiting for better weather up heresad.gif

We are in the same boat! All next week is going to be rain. I know rain by itself is not bad, but the mud in the hills just sits in wait for a dummy like me to drive(or walk) right into a big ol mud trap! :notfair:

Chelebele

If you're in a Cretaceous area, it won't be Syringopora, but it sure looks similar, and seeing as it looks like a river rock, I wonder if it came down the river from a Paleozoic source upstream?

Just to clarify the scale, but if the rock is about 2x2", then the 'holes' must be a little larger than a mm in diameter, no? About 1/8" maybe? (If so, that would jive with Syringopora)

If you're in a Cretaceous area, it won't be Syringopora, but it sure looks similar, and seeing as it looks like a river rock, I wonder if it came down the river from a Paleozoic source upstream?

Just to clarify the scale, but if the rock is about 2x2", then the 'holes' must be a little larger than a mm in diameter, no? About 1/8" maybe? (If so, that would jive with Syringopora)

Sorry I meant 1/8, Being from Holland I am so used to millimeters. :unsure: Thank you for the info. I have often wondered the age of some of my finds. Most are whitish gray, occasionally I find dark red to black. I found a small coral that looks identical to this one but it is black. Would the two corals be of the same age?

Chelebele

If they are both Syringopora, they will be from the same range or course, but that is a fairly long range - Silurian to L. Permian - but not Cretaceous. I doubt you will ever be able to date them confidently unless you can trace them to a particular layer of bedrock that matches your specimen.