Microfossils From Charmouth

BlazeXploder

Okay, just came back from Char, found a few unknowns, but only one truly bugs me. this is stonebarrow, 195-200myo approx, charmouth, near Lyme, in Dorset. Lower Jurassic, basically.

This is the one thats annoying me:

Unknowns.png

Thats sized next to a 1p coin. The thing next to it appears to be similar. Thing on the top right is what im interested in!

And just some odds and ends, I think most are bellemnites:

SticksNStones.png

Equally as small, tiny bit bigger.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by BlazeXploder

Fossily99: what even is earth?

xonenine: Its a good place to collect fossils.

Thanks! Sounds about right, mustve been for a right tiny little thing!

these other pieces are the molds of dirt inside belemites. dirt fossilizes inside the belemites, giving them this shape.

these other pieces are the molds of dirt inside belemites. dirt fossilizes inside the belemites, giving them this shape.

Hmm...not sure about that. And this is from a small area of the beach with few bellemnites, so if these came from bellemnites, there would have to be quite a lot more of them to produce such a large amount of these. If you assume this came from 1x2m of beach, and only 2 bellemnites came out of it, then I would be a little bit hard to believe. also, ive never found a hollow bellemnite. But, I shall look into this possibility, so thanks.

Hi Blaze,

I think you're right, most of those are bits of belemnite rostrum, a few of the more irregular bits are probably burrow infills or maybe small coprolites.

As fossilman7 says, a couple of the more conical ones (bottom right and left) might be belemnite alveolus infills or actual phragmocones; they could also be conical belemnite rostra, can't quite see enough detail to be sure.

Don't know what your mystery item is but I don't think it matches the local crinoids.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin      image.png.b7b2dcb2ffdfe5c07423473150a7ac94.png  image.png.4828a96949a85749ee3c434f73975378.png  image.png.6354171cc9e762c1cfd2bf647445c36f.png  image.png.06d7471ec1c14daf7e161f6f50d5d717.png

Don't know what your mystery item is but I don't think it matches the local crinoids.

Huh, I dont have any local crinoid heads to checkit against, unfortunately. but it does seem awfully small to be one. Is there a resident crinoid expert on the forum?