Show Us Your Calamites!

Rockin' Ric

Hi. Here are my best Calamites fossils. I found them in West Yorkshire, UK. Both of them come from the same quarry, which was closed many years ago.

This one is my favourite. It is well preserved and on one of the nodes there is what I believe to be a branch scar. When I found it I thought it was just a small fragment, but when I moved some of the sand and soil away from it I realised it was much bigger than I thought.

post-21610-0-80059700-1468173160_thumb.jpg

post-21610-0-79010200-1468173205_thumb.jpg

post-21610-0-04134700-1468173228_thumb.jpg

I found this one in a small hole which someone dug out in the quarry. In the same hole I found another Calamites stem and an Artisia stem.

post-21610-0-48392600-1468173678_thumb.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Nothing special from me but I have these. They're from Offerton, Cheshire, U.K. 4 miles from where I live. It's a tiny cutting. Getting good stuff from here is challenging as it falls apart with the lightest touch to I Paraloid in the field. Anything over 3 inches is pretty much impossible and the cutting is almost dug out so plants from here are pretty rare. I do have so nice small fern leaves though.

post-20550-0-35280900-1468181887_thumb.jpeg

Nothing special from me but I have these. They're from Offerton, Cheshire, U.K. 4 miles from where I live. It's a tiny cutting. Getting good stuff from here is challenging as it falls apart with the lightest touch to I Paraloid in the field. Anything over 3 inches is pretty much impossible and the cutting is almost dug out so plants from here are pretty rare. I do have so nice small fern leaves though.

attachicon.gifimage.jpeg

Hi. It sounds like the best rock layers at Offerton have been removed, exposing another layer which isn't as good. From what I've seen the best fossils came from the harder layers (are they still there?)

Have you found any insects at Offerton?

Thanks,

Daniel

Hi. It sounds like the best rock layers at Offerton have been removed, exposing another layer which isn't as good. From what I've seen the best fossils came from the harder layers (are they still there?)

Have you found any insects at Offerton?

Thanks,

Daniel

There were never any hard layers as far as I know. It's all saturated shale most of the year and if you look at the cutting which is on the stream it's not likely it was anything else. I guess the Goyte river keeps it wet most of the year but when it's dry it's even worse to deal with. The shale is sorta glued together with mud when damp. The cutting is tiny too. The coal seams are either side are similar but a little easier to handle. Even when the uk groups went there it was the same crumbly shale. The shale sheet really is a few tenth of a mm thick (thin!) so it's crazy hard to get anything out.

There was a guy who hit the local press with a nodule with a nice plant in it but that was found in the Goyte river so it could have come from anywhere up stream.

No, I've never found any insects.

John

Just out of interest where did you see 'the best rock layer' stuff? Online?

J

Hi. On the UK fossils website the page about Offerton has a few fossils from there, which look to be in a hard shale. However, they may have come from the river.

Daniel

Edited by Strepsodus

Atheyre mentioning two areas in Offerton, I was only aware of one, I'll have to go back and try to find the other site as the rocks look pretty good there :) I'll report back when I get some time to go there.

Hi. Hopefully the other area is good. I'm visiting Whitehaven for a couple of days in the summer and I may also visit Offerton at some point.

Daniel

Atheyre mentioning two areas in Offerton, I was only aware of one, I'll have to go back and try to find the other site as the rocks look pretty good there :) I'll report back when I get some time to go there.

Hi. Hopefully the other area is good. I'm visiting Whitehaven for a couple of days in the summer and I may also visit Offerton at some point.

Daniel

Drop me a PM, be good to meet up. And you might not find it, it pretty hard to find the cutting. Took me a couple of trips. If you need a bed we can put you up

• 8 months later...

I find more Calamites than anything else here in KY. Most of the specimens I've found are 3D, but often rather small and showing only 1-2 nodes. I was very pleased to find this one poking out of the ground after a heavy rain yesterday. :D

d0ptCQY.jpg

Prior to this, this one was my favorite (also my very first fossil):

emhMSBq.jpg

Casual surface-collector and Pokémon fan. QPn3FY1.gif

Very nice.

Tom

AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGIST

STROKE SURVIVOR

CANCER SURVIVOR

CURMUDGEON

"THERE IS A VERY FINE LINE BETWEEN AVOCATIONAL PALEONTOLOGY AND MENTAL ILLNESS"

• 1 year later...

It's been since 2011 this thread was posted and thought I'd resurrect it. There may have been other threads posted since then but you gotta admit that most of The Fossil Forum members have quite a few of these in their collections. Since then I've added more from 3D end piece casts to 3D casts still in the matrix along with your traditional 2D impressions on the shale slab. Please post more pics so others can see them...I for one would love to see them!

EndPieces.jpg

CalamitePin.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

WELCOME TO ALL THE NEW MEMBERS!

If history repeats itself, I'm SO getting a dinosaur. ~unknown

www.rockinric81.wixsite.com/fossils

2 hours ago, Rockin' Ric said:

casts still in the matrix along with your traditional 2D impressions on the shale slab.

Lovely collection just beautiful.

I only now have one piece now from a unknown location but quite nice.

52DE6E37-F141-40FF-BBF5-29CD2173C794.jpeg

E48983D4-D7B6-407E-BBDC-BAF8671204B6.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2