Dinosaur Skin

dino35

While traveling in Austin Texas I found what I believe may be dinosaur fossil skin in a curio shop that had rocks and fossils for sale. I have seen both Ankylosaur amd crocodillain tissue impressions with these features. I know nothing of the pieces origin but can tell it has has sand stone underneath which is of the same nature found on some of my Morroacan dinosaur fossils. BOTTOM LINE WHAT THE HECK IS IT? I appologize as I posted this earlier without pics and that was infact ghost skin ;) I own fossil dinosaur skin impressions and I know that in general they form a hexagonal lattace but I wonder if this at some meeting point on the flesh were an arm meets a limb or shoulder meets a neck. Thank You all

post-5957-0-60842300-1307380777_thumb.jpg

Hi-

without seeing it in hand, and knowing the context, I would say, it very well could be a chunk of dinosaur skin. And yes, they are known to have different types of scales on different partsof thebody.

The only reason I could think of this not being dino skin is that hematite forms little blobs like that AND WHO WOULD SELL DINO SKIN? If I got any of that, I would keep it in a safe.

Fossily99: what even is earth?

xonenine: Its a good place to collect fossils.

...AND WHO WOULD SELL DINO SKIN? If I got any of that, I would keep it in a safe.

You'd be surprised...I've seen some people selling it by the dozens...I don't understand either though. I don't keep mine in a safe, cause it's a cast, but if it was real I would too.

Yep, it could be dino skin. I haven't heard of it coming from Morroco before (although it might, I haven't looked into it), so it might be from somewhere else.

What a wonderful menagerie! Who would believe that such as register lay buried in the strata? To open the leaves, to unroll the papyrus, has been an intensely interesting though difficult work, having all the excitement and marvelous development of a romance. And yet the volume is only partly read. Many a new page I fancy will yet be opened. -- Edward Hitchcock, 1858

Formerly known on the forum as Crimsonraptor

@Diplotomodon on Twitter

• 5 months later...

Hey man, Check this out! I live in Oklahoma and we have similar rocks! I am talking to museum in Oklahoma City and I will let you know what they say about mine. Reply if you want to see more pictures.

WOW!

Carol

post-7423-0-95244900-1322021132_thumb.gif

Geometry doesnt look like a skin patch, pores dont think would bubble up like that, heck dont even think osteoderms look like that (I have some Anklyosaurid and seeen croc). Looks like maybe some mud sediments.

But there looks like a small bone fragment in bottom right.

Just not convinced.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Hi there,

These are bony plates, which lay under the skin, just like today's reptiles, come from Kem Kem basin, 110 Million years old, Sahara Desert, Morocco. They come from crocodiles and the proper name for your fossil is a scute. scute could belong to Sarcosuchus.

Edited by Odinofthenorth

Hi there,

These are bony plates, which lay under the skin, just like today's reptiles, come from Kem Kem basin, 110 Million years old, Sahara Desert, Morocco. They come from crocodiles and the proper name for your fossil is a scute. scute could belong to Sarcosuchus.

Could you please cite that Odin, so that we are on the same page?

I have a friend who worked with S.imperator back when Sareno went and worked on N. African super crocs. Skin impressions for crocs dont think they bubble up. And Osteoderms (Scutes) Are usally more box-like, where as the bottom right bone frag looks more angular.

Normally the "Pitted" side IIRC is indeed pitted (Blood Vessels) and other side would be flat like a roofing tile. Even prepped out the S.imperator scutes would not have the raised dimples. Think this is a Septerian / concretion, but the bottom right needs investigating.

Sources

http://www.supercroc.org/supercroc/anatomy.htm

http://www.prehistoricstore.com/item.php?item=1601

Bronn, H. G. Klassen und Ordnungen des Thier-Reichs, vol. 63, "Reptilien 2, Eidechsen und Wasserechsen". 1959.

Gadow, H. Amphibia and reptiles. The Cambridge Natural History. MacMillan and Co. Ltd., London, 1923.

Rathke, C. Untersuchen über die Entwickelung und den Körperbau der Crocodile. Braunschweig, 1866.

Reese, Albert M. The Alligator and Its Allies (PDF). Originally published Knickerbocker Press, 1915; electronic reprint c2000 Arment Biological Press.

PUBLICATIONS

Dallas Paleontology Society Occasional Papers Vol. 9 2011

"Pennsylvanian Stratigraphy and Paleoecology of Outcrops in Jacksboro, Texas"

Author

Texas Paleontology Society Feb, 2011

"Index Fossils and You" A primer on how to utilize fossils to assist in relative age dating strata"

Author

Quotes

"Beer, Bacon, and Bivalves!"

"Say NO to illegal fossil buying / selling"

"They belong in a museum."

Education

Associates of Science - 2011

Bachelors of Science (Geology & Biology) - 2012 est.

Could you please cite that Odin, so that we are on the same page?

I have a friend who worked with S.imperator back when Sareno went and worked on N. African super crocs. Skin impressions for crocs dont think they bubble up. And Osteoderms (Scutes) Are usally more box-like, where as the bottom right bone frag looks more angular.

Normally the "Pitted" side IIRC is indeed pitted (Blood Vessels) and other side would be flat like a roofing tile. Even prepped out the S.imperator scutes would not have the raised dimples. Think this is a Septerian / concretion, but the bottom right needs investigating.

Sources

http://www.supercroc...roc/anatomy.htm

http://www.prehistor...m.php?item=1601

Bronn, H. G. Klassen und Ordnungen des Thier-Reichs, vol. 63, "Reptilien 2, Eidechsen und Wasserechsen". 1959.

Gadow, H. Amphibia and reptiles. The Cambridge Natural History. MacMillan and Co. Ltd., London, 1923.

Rathke, C. Untersuchen über die Entwickelung und den Körperbau der Crocodile. Braunschweig, 1866.

Reese, Albert M. The Alligator and Its Allies (PDF). Originally published Knickerbocker Press, 1915; electronic reprint c2000 Arment Biological Press.

Hi, I am not saying it is that crocodile, just some sort. Here is a picture of one that looks very similar. http://farm5.static...._6127c53033.jpg And the specimen that we are trying to identify, looks like the impressions concave. It is either that or my eyes are bad.

Could we have more picture of the specimen please, maybe some side angles?

Thomas.

i don't feel like going and digging the stuff out and photographing it at the moment, but this phenomenon is just more rocks having fun at our expense. i find it in eocene mars-scapes where everything is purple or red or orange and iron and carbonate and diagenesis ruled the day.

Did a quick search on our forum for other posts with images

of skin impressions

Dinosaur Hadrosaur Skin Fossil

post-6417-0-32411600-1322224238_thumb.jpg

Link (more images)...Click Here

57Th Hgms Gem, Jewelry, Mineral & Fossil Show

post-6417-0-52577300-1322224267_thumb.jpg

Found this link on the Net

Mummified, fossilized Edmontosaurus dinosaur skin

with preserved skin folds and creases

post-6417-0-37092400-1322224293_thumb.jpg

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Skin impressions and for that matter Invertebrate fossils are way out

of my area of expertise...just an observation of a feature on dino35's

fossil seems a little odd and might not be really significant...However,

the feature in the cropped version could be interpreted as skin fold

post-6417-0-67973000-1322227958_thumb.jpg

Mother Nature does create some fantastic works of art :P

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show