Some Recent Trades

palaeopix

Over the last year and a half that I have been on The Fossil Forum, I have met some really great people and had some really exceptional trades. Before joining The Fossil Forum, I had never participated in an exchange of fossils and was limited to specimens that I found personally or purchased at fossil shops and shows. Trading has opened up a whole new avenue of acquiring specimens that are not readily available in my area and even some that are.

To start things off I'd like to show a very cool split pair (part and counterpart) of the Eocene fish Eohiodon rosei. This specimen is one of my latest acquisitions and comes from the Tranquille Shale (McAbee Fossil Beds) exposed near Cache Creek, BC. The specimen was sent to me from Pennsylvania, so it's had a rather circuitous route from and back to British Columbia.

post-2629-0-10592100-1307930169_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-23734300-1307930173_thumb.jpg The specimen measures in at around 8.3cm (83mm).

Eohiodon rosei

Eocene Tranquille Shale

McAbee Fossil Beds, near Cache Creek, British Columbia

The part on the right still has some of the caudal fin concealed beneath some shale. At some point in the future I may have the specimen prepped to expose the remaining fin.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Here are few more recent trades from Pennsylvania. All are specimens that I have wanted to add to my collection, but because I live so far from the corresponding localities they have eluded me.

First off are two very neat Cedaria minor trilobites. Both occur on a single small slab of shale and come from the Middle Cambrian Weeks Formation. As you can see one is preserved in the dorsal position while the other is preserved in the ventral position.

post-2629-0-04674000-1307931096_thumb.jpg These guys are pretty small; the largest only being about 1cm (10mm) long.

Cedaria minor

Middle Cambrian Weeks Formation

Millard County, Utah.

Then there is this very neat split pair (part and conterpart) of Piochaspis sellata.

post-2629-0-26457900-1307931300_thumb.jpg this specimen is less than 1cm (10mm) long but a nice addition to the collection none the less.

Piochaspis sellata

Middle Cambrian Chisholm Shale

Half Moon Mine, Chisholm, Nevada.

And this is one of my favorite trilobites. For a year and a half I used a modified line drawing of Zacanthoides typicallis as my avatar and now I have this nearly complete specimen in my collection.

post-2629-0-01362300-1307931703_thumb.jpg This specimen is a couple of centimeters long.

Zacanthoides typicallis

Middle Cambrian Chisholm Shale

Half Moon Mine, Chisholm, Nevada.

For those of you interested, here is the line drawing I used as my avatar. I originally got the drawing from the Treatise on Invertebrate Palontology and added the missing free cheek.

post-2629-0-72412900-1307931922_thumb.jpg

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Whoa!!

Great acquisitions, Dan. :wub:

The fish is superb, and the trilobites are amazing! :)B) B) B)

Congratulations!

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Whoa!!

Great acquisitions, Dan. :wub:

The fish is superb, and the trilobites are amazing! :)B) B) B)

Congratulations!

Regards,

Hey thanks Tim,

the fish is a stunner! Quite simply the best example of Eohiodon from both Princeton and McAbee that resides in my collection! I was very lucky to receive such an amazing specimen in trade! And the trilobites are perfect additions to my somewhat Canadian-centric trilobite collection.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Here's another trilobite recently acquired, again from Pennsylvania with the previous specimens. This is a great specimen of the enrolled phacopid, Dipleura.

post-2629-0-70951000-1307933344_thumb.jpg For more info on Dipleura and this specimen see Here. The specimen is 3.8cm (38mm) across.

Here are a few more views of the specimen.

post-2629-0-23083300-1307937172_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-20504800-1307937175_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-66837100-1307937178_thumb.jpg

Dipleura dekayi

Devonian Mahantango Formation

Mausdale, Moncour County, Pennsylvania.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Along with the Eocene fish and the assortment of trilobites, in my previous posts, I also received three pieces from the Eocene Parachute Member of the Green River Formation at Bonanza, Utah.

The first specimen is some sort of fly, but I'm no expert on the Green River biota so I'll just call it a fly for now.

post-2629-0-89352500-1307994309_thumb.jpg

The next specimen is actually a series of five various flies on a single piece of shale. There are some other insect bits on the slab as well but these photos are of the better specimens.

post-2629-0-64152900-1307994471_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-31092400-1307994474_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-83491800-1307994476_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-70751200-1307994479_thumb.jpg

The first specimen certainly looks like a March Fly to me, while some of the remaining specimens look more Mosquito-like.

And the third piece is an impressive association of Musca acrides larvae.

post-2629-0-02740300-1307994678_thumb.jpg

If anyone has any definitive Ids for any of these specimens I'd love to hear from you!

So that wraps up my trade from Pennsylvania. I'd like to thank Shamalama for sending me the wonderful specimens featured in this and previous posts on this thread. Dave is a really great guy and very knowledgeable on a wide range of fossil groups and the myriad formations the fossils come from.

Dan

Here is one ID- I am fairly confident that even from Pennsylvania, just like the more common NY examples, you have a Dipleura dekayi.

Thanks for showing us your wonderful new fossils Dan! :)

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Last year I had the privilege of meeting FossilDAWG (Don) while he was visiting family here in British Columbia. Don had contacted me about doing some collecting and I was eager to catch up with him and visit one of my secret trilobite spots. I was pleasantly surprised when he brought along an assortment of fossil goodies for me! Although not strictly a trade, the specimens I received were welcome additions to my collection! Among other things Don brought me a very cool Dakoticancer crab from the coon Creek member of the Ripley Formation (Cretaceous) and and handful of sharks teeth.

Two specimens that stand out are the trilobites Flexicalymene senaria and Paratrinucleus acervulosus. Below are some photos of the specimens.

post-2629-0-89838900-1307996640_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-73575300-1307996642_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-40432100-1307996644_thumb.jpg

Partially enrolled Flexicalymene senaria from the Middle Ordovician Verulam Formation, Lakefield, Ontario.

post-2629-0-09501600-1307996870_thumb.jpg Paratrinucleus acervulosus from the Middle Ordovician Liberty Hall Formation near Blacksburg, Virginia.

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Here is one ID- I am fairly confident that even from Pennsylvania, just like the more common NY examples, you have a Dipleura dekayi.

Thanks for showing us your wonderful new fossils Dan! :)

Thanks for the Id Scott! I thought it might be D. dekayi, but wasn't 100% sure.

It's been my pleasure showing some of my newly acquired fossils. I have several more to come so stay tuned!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

OK one last post on this thread today.

Last year I did a trade with pleecan (Peter) and received some very cool tentaculites hash plates from Arkona. I haven't been able to locate those specimens (just goes to show how much stuff I have laying around that needs attention), but I did find this incredible specimen that I received from Bob. The specimen is quite large measuring in at a whopping 22cmx20cmx5cm and probably weighs a good eight to ten kilograms. I saw this specimen featured in one of Bob's galleries and made a comment on the specimen. Bob contacted me and asked if I'd like the specimen so I jumped at his offer.

post-2629-0-06566300-1308000595_thumb.jpg

The specimen is literally loaded with tentaculites, crinoid stem pieces, and the brachiopods Devonochonetes scitulus* and Mucrospirifer arkonenesis.

And here is a closeup of one section showing the various elements preserved on the plate.

post-2629-0-79879600-1308000599_thumb.jpg

Once I locate the material that Peter sent me I'll post photos of some more tentaculites hash plates (easily one of my favorite fossils).

Dan

*Edit: thanks go out to Shamalama (Dave) for the Id of Devonochonetes scitulus.

Edited by palaeopix

Wonderful acquisitions, Dan. :wub: Thanks for sharing ;)

I prefer the superb flies plate and ... all of the others... :D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Hi Dan,

I think I did just fine in that "trade": a very fun adventure, many excellent trilobites, and meeting a top-notch member of our community of fossil fanatics.

I probably won't be up your way this summer, but I'm hoping for next year. You, of course, are welcome down here any time.

Don

Hi Dan,

I think I did just fine in that "trade": a very fun adventure, many excellent trilobites, and meeting a top-notch member of our community of fossil fanatics.

I probably won't be up your way this summer, but I'm hoping for next year. You, of course, are welcome down here any time.

Don

Thank you for the compliment Don!

And what an adventure it was!

Hope to see you next year!!!!!

You sir are always welcome to join me collecting, whenever you get back to BC!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

OK so one more post tonight before I head off to bed.

I finally found those tentaculites hash plates that I got from pleecan (Peter) last year. These are the specimens that fired my passion for hash plates and Arkona. I don't know what it is about tentaculites that appeals to me, but for awhile all I wanted was more hash! Peter kindly sent me an assortment of hash and other fossils (brachiopods, button corals, horn corals, byozoans, a goniatite and a bactrites) from Arkona. I'll show two of the hash plates in this post and save the rest of the material for another time.

post-2629-0-89743000-1308022554_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-60556000-1308022557_thumb.jpg Tentaculites. Devonian Arkona Formation, Hungry Hollow, Ontario.

Next time I'll show some trilobite hash I got from a trade with Shamalama last year.

Dan

Dan, Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you like the pieces I sent you. You do a wonderful job on the photography as well as those insects look outstanding! The Tentaculite-Mucrospirifer arkonensis hash plate is great and I think the Chonetes are actually Devonochonetes scitulus.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Dan, Thanks for the compliments and I'm glad you like the pieces I sent you. You do a wonderful job on the photography as well as those insects look outstanding! The Tentaculite-Mucrospirifer arkonensis hash plate is great and I think the Chonetes are actually Devonochonetes scitulus.

Hey Dave,

thanks for the proper I'D, I'll make the necessary changes! I truly meant what I said! Your trades, blog, and input here on the forum definitely reflect that!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Last year, as part of a fairly substantial trade, I received several pieces of Upper Ordovician aged hash from Shamalama. I really love hash plates and these are no exception. There are lots of different neat things on the hash plates, but the trilobite bits were what really caught my eye!

The first set of photos below are from two hash plates that came from the Upper Ordovician Kope Formation in Carrol County, Kentucky.

post-2629-0-60704700-1308093991_thumb.jpgpost-2629-0-30940300-1308093995_thumb.jpg Cryptolithus bellulus.**

The next four photos are from two larger hash plates again of Upper Ordovician age that came from the Whitewater Formation near St. Leon, Indiana.

post-2629-0-70766000-1308094287_thumb.jpg Flexicalymene granulosa cranidium and pygidium.**

post-2629-0-27278200-1308094294_thumb.jpg Ceraurus milleranus librigena and Flexicalymene meeeki pygidium.**

post-2629-0-45116600-1308094297_thumb.jpg Flexicalmene meeki cranidium.**

post-2629-0-90474600-1308094290_thumb.jpg Acidaspis cincinnatiensis cranidium.**

**I'd like to thank Scott (piranha) for all the Ids. "You're the Man" man!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Dan... Some really nice fossils, good aquisitions... Love the insects ;)

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Dan... Some really nice fossils, good aquisitions... Love the insects ;)

Thanks Steve,

I have been rather lucky with my trades lately. Yeah the insects are very cool! You know, when I first started collecting "bugs" (a.k.a. trilobites) I didn't think I would actually be collecting bugs and other insects! Funny how one's focus changes!

Dan

Thanks Steve,

I have been rather lucky with my trades lately. Yeah the insects are very cool! You know, when I first started collecting "bugs" (a.k.a. trilobites) I didn't think I would actually be collecting bugs and other insects! Funny how one's focus changes!

Dan

Its good to focus on one or two things I reckon... that way you dont dilute your resources and effort... Keep up the good work :)

So today I'd like to show some cool brachiopods that came from Shamalama. Brachiopods are another favorite fossil but there aren't many to be found in my neck of the woods!

post-2629-0-46167200-1308160655_thumb.jpgDalmanella sp. Ordovician Kope Formation. Carrol Co., Kentucky. Largest specimen 13mm across.

post-2629-0-99274300-1308160649_thumb.jpgSowerbyella sp. Ordovician Kope Formation. Carrol Co., Kentucky. Specimen is 17mm across.

post-2629-0-91352000-1308160652_thumb.jpgRafinesquina sp. Ordovician Liberty Formation. Brookville, Indiana. Specimen is 38mm across.

post-2629-0-30171400-1308160638_thumb.jpgLepidocyclus sp. Ordovician Liberty Formation. Brookville, Indiana. Specimen is 18mm across.

post-2629-0-14025600-1308160647_thumb.jpgStrophomena sp. Ordovician Whitewater Formation. St. Leon, Indiana. Specimen is 30mm across.

post-2629-0-89958600-1308160634_thumb.jpgPlatystrophia cypha. Ordovician Whitewater Formation. St. Leon, Indiana. Specimen is 30mm across.

post-2629-0-56902100-1308160641_thumb.jpgPlatystrophia ponderosa. Ordovician McMillan Formation. Spencer City, Kentucky. Specimen is 37mm across.

post-2629-0-31189100-1308160644_thumb.jpg Platystrophia ponderosa auburnensis. Ordovician McMillan Formation. Spencer City, Kentucky. Specimen is 37mm across.

Thanks again to Dave for the great specimens!!!!!

Dan

Edited by palaeopix

Its good to focus on one or two things I reckon... that way you dont dilute your resources and effort... Keep up the good work :)

Yeah,

it would be nice to concentrate on just one or two things but I haven't! :blush: :blush:

Dan

Yeah,

it would be nice to concentrate on just one or two things but I haven't! :blush: :blush:

Dan

Dan...Nice Brac's from Dave... On the plus side, trading for fossils is pretty simple for you... but a real nightmare for me having focused my collection... -_-

Dan...Nice Brac's from Dave... On the plus side, trading for fossils is pretty simple for you... but a real nightmare for me having focused my collection... -_-

Yeah,

I wish I could go back and start all over again so I could focus on one or two groups! I guess all is not lost because I do have a pretty nice Eocene Insect collection and the trilobite collection is not too shabby either. Mind you it's not quite like your focused collection Steve :wub:

Dan

Dan, I must have switched the labels when I sent them to you since the fat Platystrophia in the last pic is the P. ponderosa var. auburnensis. Sorry about that.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/