Another Crinoid Garden

Guest solius symbiosus

Guest solius symbiosus

I pulled another two more today. They are both on one rock

This one might have 3 calyxes; it for sure has two, but it looks like the one at the bottom left is actually two that died close together. I'll know more when I prep.

post-179-1216411163_thumb.jpg

This is the ventral side of a pygidium off the trilobite Isotelus gigas.

post-179-1216411243_thumb.jpg

A piece of a trilobite. Hmmmm. I wish I could hunt Ordovician this weekend. I will be in the Eocene on Sunday.

It is my sense that some of those crinoids would become amazing displays with judicious application of air abrasives. Until you've gotten to use some of those kinds of tools, you really can't imagine how miraculous the transformations can seem.

• 1 month later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I got lucky yesterday puliing about 10 more Iocrinus crassus (?)

a nearly complete one

post-179-1220886535_thumb.jpg

two calyx on this one

post-179-1220886578_thumb.jpg

There is at least 5 on this one.

post-179-1220886685_thumb.jpg

This one is a piece that has broken off the one above. They glue together at the "A-A'" marked on the piece.

post-179-1220886759_thumb.jpg

All of these were found within one foot of each other. Some of the other pieces might glue together; I haven't yet checked. I'll post some photos when they get prepped.

This is one that I found earlier. I started prepping sodium bicarb ... waiting for some dolomite to arrive to finish.

post-179-1220887105_thumb.jpg

:wub: Garden is right! Back when I collected "everything" (...in a galaxy far away), I had one little floating crinoid; the rest were "sticks and seeds". These are really lovely!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus
Nice. Leave one for me. :P

These have all been surface collected. The outcrop looks ripe for quarrying. Let me know the next time you are in the area.

Geez, Solius! I can't believe it... I would love to find crinoids like this. You can give me some tips when we finally meet up.... I also would like to hit the place near Bardstown, where you said gravicalymene (or one of the darn things) could be found... I won't expect to find any thing, though, but it would be great just to hang out with the Kentucky Fossil King.

Guest solius symbiosus
...but it would be great just to hang out with the Kentucky Fossil King.

That accolade would, probably, best be bestowed upon others.

Anytime you want to make the trip down 75, let me know.

These have all been surface collected. The outcrop looks ripe for quarrying. Let me know the next time you are in the area.

Don't know when that will be (probably sometime within the next 12 months), but I will contact you for sure.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I pulled two more calyxes today. I'll load some pics later, but here are the worm tubes that were found a while back after a little prep work, and one of the calyx that I found the last time is showing it's anal tube.

Cornulites attached to Isotelus gigas pygidium

post-179-1221845789_thumb.jpg

Iocrinus sp. with anal tube

post-179-1221846183_thumb.jpg

Guest solius symbiosus

I started prepping the two I found the other day.

I found some of the stem of this one, and maybe a holdfast, after I carefully removed a chunk that was hiding the calyx.

post-179-1222036999_thumb.jpg

I think that I might have two on this one; the one on the left, and a juvenile on the right that has partially disarticulated.

post-179-1222037088_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest solius symbiosus

I'm beginning to second guess my ID of at least some of these. It looks like, at least, some of these are Reteocrinus sp. Once prepped, I'll count plates.

• 4 months later...
I thought that I would go and check out the outcrop where Mike pulled the Gravicalymene today, and find an outcrop I remember from years ago.

The outcrop from years ago turned out to be a unit that is sparcely fossiliferous, I guess that is why I never went back, but here is a pic of the unit that shows some nice cross bedding indicating a near shore environment.

Lexington Lm.

Tanglewood Mb

Middle Ordovician.

post-179-1215809739_thumb.jpg

While trying to find this outcrop, I happened upon a small outcrop of the Devils Hollow Mb. of the Lexington Lm. I decided to have a peek, not expecting anything, and as soon as I walked up, the first rock that I saw had 3 crinoids. I couldn't believe it.

Within a meter of that rock, I found 5 more in about an hours time. I have tentatively IDed these as Iocrinus.

post-179-1215810030_thumb.jpg

A pic of the outcrop

post-179-1215810087_thumb.jpg

I'll load some pics of some of the individual calyx after I scrub them with a little soap and water.

I will be passing through the area, I was wondering if the locality is still open to collect and if so where exactly is it? I have never collected crinoids in the field, I thought it would be a fun experience.

-paleozoicfish